How to Cook Delicious Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup
Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup. Check Out Egg Drop Soup Mix On eBay. As fall and winter sets in, this Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup really hits the spot on a cold day. Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup is a Cantonese favorite, especially among Hong Kong-ers and, no wonder, as it's a really souped up (pun intended) version of our beloved egg drop soup with an added protein boost from chopped chicken and a touch of sweetness with the addition of corn.
In a small bowl or cup, mix together the cornstarch and water. Gradually add the beaten egg while stirring the soup. So What Is Egg Drop Soup? You can have Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup
- Prepare 4 ounces of chicken breast, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of water.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- You need 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen sweet corn.
- It’s 5 cups of organic or homemade chicken stock.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste).
- You need 1 pinch of white pepper.
- You need of Cornstarch slurry: ¼ cup cornstarch combined with ½ cup chicken stock.
- It’s 2 of egg whites, lightly beaten (you can also include the yolks if you want).
- Prepare 1 of scallion, chopped.
- You need 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro (optional).
- You need of Freshly ground black pepper (optional).
In case this recipe is new to you, egg drop soup is a staple at Chinese restaurants across the United States. It's typically made with lightly-seasoned chicken or veggie broth, and filled with delicious egg "ribbons", which are created by whisking raw eggs into the simmering broth. When we first immigrated to the US, corn egg drop soup was a beloved budget and pantry dish that only took minutes to get on the table. The combo of sweet corn in savory, peppery broth with thin ribbons of egg is oh so simple yet comforting.
Chicken Corn Egg Drop Soup instructions
- Marinate the chicken with 1 tablespoon of water, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon oyster sauce. Mix until the liquid is absorbed into the chicken. Set aside..
- Finely mince ½ cup of the corn kernels and set aside. Add the chicken stock, minced and whole corn kernels, and turmeric powder to a pot and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes..
- Next, add the sesame oil, salt, and white pepper. Turn up the heat slightly. Add the chicken to the soup, and use a spoon to break up any clumps of chicken while stirring for one minute..
- Re-mix the cornstarch and chicken stock slurry until incorporated (since the cornstarch and water will separate when left to sit for more than a few minutes). Use a spoon or a whisk to stir the soup while slowly pouring in the cornstarch slurry. The soup will begin to thicken further as the cornstarch cooks. Keep stirring for another 30 seconds. If the soup is too thick, add more stock, and if it’s too thin, add more cornstarch slurry until the soup is at your preferred consistency..
- Next, use a large spoon or ladle to gently stir the soup in one direction, while slowly pouring the beaten egg whites into the soup. Stirring slowly in a large slow circular motion will yield large “ribbons” of egg and stirring faster will result in a finer “egg flower.” Again, use your own discretion on how you personally like the texture of the egg!.
- Stir in half of the scallions, and add the rest as a garnish for serving. If you’re looking for a bit more flavor, you can also drizzle a bit of sesame oil over the top and sprinkle some chopped cilantro and fresh ground black pepper over each bowl..
In China sweet corn egg drop soup is called "粟米羹" which is believed to be benefit to stomach and bowels. There are two common version of sweet corn soup: one is with egg and the other one is with chicken meat. This is a very basic version. Instead of using clean water, I use a dilute corn juice for a better combined taste. Chinese Chicken and Sweetcorn (Egg Drop) Soup.