Recipe: Perfect Hot and sour soup
Hot and sour soup. Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US. It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and gloopy. There was a time when I never thought to make it myself and resigned myself to the luck of the draw when it came to ordering it.
Soup preparation may use chicken or pork broth, or may be meat-free. This restaurant-style Hot and Sour Soup recipe is the best!! It's quick and simple to make, easy to adapt to your personal taste preferences, and so delicious! You can have Hot and sour soup using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hot and sour soup
- Prepare 8 cups of chicken or vegetable stock.
- You need 8 ounces of shiitake mushrooms (or baby bella mushrooms), thinly-sliced with stems discarded.
- It’s of optional: 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar, or more to taste.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of reduced-sodium soy sauce.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of ground ginger.
- You need 1 teaspoon of chili garlic sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of cornstarch.
- Prepare 2 of large eggs, whisked.
- You need 8 ounces of firm tofu*, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- It’s 4 of green onions (scallions), thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.
- Prepare of Kosher salt and black pepper (or white pepper**).
The traditional hot and sour soup recipe call for Chinese dry shiitake mushroom. Soak the mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated and become very soft and easy to cut. The time required varies from an hour to two or three hours, as it depends on the thickness of the mushrooms. Savoury, spicy, sour and hearty, Hot and Sour Soup is completely addictive!
Hot and sour soup step by step
- Set aside ¼ cup of the chicken or vegetable stock for later use..
- Add the remaining 7 ¾ cups chicken or vegetable stock, mushrooms, bamboo shoots (if using), rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and chili garlic sauce to a large stock pot, and stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until the soup reaches a simmer..
- While the soup is heating, whisk together the ¼ cup of stock (that you had set aside) and cornstarch in a small bowl until completely smooth. Once the soup has reached a simmer, stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir for 1 minute or so until the soup has thickened..
- Continue stirring the soup in a circular motion, then drizzle in the eggs in a thin stream (while still stirring the soup) to create egg ribbons. Stir in the tofu, half of the green onions, and sesame oil. Then season the soup with salt and black pepper (or white pepper) to taste. If you'd like a more "sour" soup, feel free to add in another tablespoon or two of rice wine vinegar as well. Or if you'd like a spicier soup, add in more chili garlic sauce..
- Serve immediately, garnished with the extra green onions..
This recipe stacks up to the best Chinese restaurants. Hot and Sour soup is a Chinese soup that's savoury, spicy and tangy. The broth is thickened and it's filled with mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots and silky egg ribbons. Hot and sour soup (Suan La Tang) is a common dish popular in China especially in cold winter. It is firstly invented for poor people who need to warm their body up.