Easiest Way to Prepare Perfect Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup
Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup. Mike's New Orleans Old Sober Or Yakamein Soup. by obrienbess. Easy Bean Soup AKA Petra's Kitchen Sink Soup. On Yak-a-mein Soup, a.k.a., 'Old Sober'.
Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup Recipe – Yummy this dish is very delicous. Let's make Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup in your home! Yaka mein (Ya-Ka-Mein, often pronounced Yakamee) is a type of beef noodle soup (simplified Chinese: 牛肉面; traditional Chinese: 牛肉麵) found in many Creole Restaurants in New Orleans. You can have Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup using 24 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup
- Prepare of ● Old Sober Soup Ingredients.
- You need 4 lb of Beef Chuck Tender Roast [cut in 1/2" cubes].
- Prepare 4 box (32 oz) of Beef Broth [reserve 1 box more if needed].
- Prepare 1 box of Thick Spaghetti Noodles.
- You need 1/3 cup of Fresh Chives [chopped + reserves].
- You need 1 tbsp of Cracked Black Pepper.
- It’s 3 tsp of Louisiana Hot Sauce [no substitutions].
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Fresh Garlic.
- You need 1 tsp of Granulated Onion Powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Cajun Seasoning.
- It’s 1 tsp of Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Oregano.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Dried Parsley.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes.
- Prepare of ● For The Sides, Garnishments & Equipment.
- Prepare 8 of Boiled Eggs [halved].
- It’s 1 cup of Sliced Fresh Chives.
- It’s as needed of Worcestershire Sauce.
- Prepare as needed of Louisiana Hot Sauce.
- It’s as needed of Soy Sauce.
- You need as needed of Ketchup.
- You need 4 of Large Styrofoam Cups.
- You need 8 of Chopsticks.
The soup consists of stewed beef (such as brisket). One of the Crescent City's time-honored traditions – a steaming bowl of Yak-a-mein Soup, a.k.a., "Old Sober"—after a night of partying in the French Quarter actually does have a basis in scientific fact. That was the word today from an overview of the chemistry of hangovers. S., and if the recent "bomb cyclone" is any indication, I think they are right!
Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup step by step
- ● Chop beef chuck or prime rib into 1" bite sized cubes [trim any fat] and chop your chives. ● I typically use my leftover prime rib and any leftover Au Jus from holiday meals. [look for my Mike's EZ Prime Rib recipe] ● So, know there will be additional herbs and spices in this prime rib version. It will also take less time to cook until meat is melt in your mouth tender. ● If you have any leftover prime rib bones, throw those in your pot as well. There's a lot of fat and flavor in those suckers! https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/341086-mikes-ez-prime-rib.
- ● Place all ingredients – except for 1 of your 4 boxes of broth, your noodles and anything listed as sides/garnishments – in a large pot. ● Simmer covered for 2 hours or, until meat is melt in your mouth tender, if using raw chuck. ● After 2 hours, I'll add some additional crispy chive ends for soup body and texture..
- ● Boil your eggs. Using older eggs [they're much easier to peel] bring your eggs and water to a rapid boil. ● Once at a full boil, turn off heat and allow eggs to sit with lid on for 18 minutes..
- Arrest the cooking process by placing your eggs in an ice bath immediately..
- ● In a seperate pot, bring 1/2 of your broth and water as needed, 1 tsp salt and a small splash of oil to a boil. ● Place noodles in your simmering pot and boil al dente [important step as you'll be simmering your noodles again for 2 minutes in your original broth] – as per manufactures directions. ● Usually about 9 to 10 minutes..
- Drain your noodles. Do not rinse..
- ● Taste test your broth at this point and see if you'd like to add additional hot sauce, pepper, garlic, soy sauce or Cajun Seasoning. ● Immediately add noodles to your original beef pot for 2 minutes on a heavy boil to absorb your fullest broth flavors. ● Serve in styrofoam cups [if on the go] with sliced eggs, fresh chives and a splash of each garnishment listed, if desired..
- For the record, let it be said that I don't quite get the Ketchup garnishment part of this recipe but, to each his own!.
- Old Sober with Udon Noodles. Enjoy!.
Great recipe for Mike's Traditional Old Sober Soup. According to the New Orleans Historical Society, this soup Variety is the Spice of Life. The recipe is a family, and a cultural, tradition. This is the first piece that was written for the Old Sober project and I'm excited to finally share it with you. Good friend and long time Old Sober collaborator, Kintsuku is appearing this Friday @ Soup Kitchen in Manchester as part of the 'Endless' electronic.