How to Make Tasty Coto Makassar / Beef Soup
Coto Makassar / Beef Soup. Discover Tasty Braised Beef Soup Made W/ Chickpeas & Mushrooms. Makassar is the provincial capital of South Sulawesi and is famous for its coto (beef soup) and konro (ribs soup). Coto is traditionally made from beef and beef entrails such as tripes, liver, lungs, etc, and most often in combination of several types of entrails.
This is Coto Makassar or beef soup in peanut gravy, it is made from beef and beef tripe, a famous Indonesian traditional food originating from Makassar, South Sulawesi. This dish traditionally serves with ketupat or buras or just with steamed white rice. And Indonesians love to eat this coto with sambal tauco (chili sauce with fermented soy bean). You can have Coto Makassar / Beef Soup using 18 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coto Makassar / Beef Soup
- Prepare 500 g of beef.
- It’s 500 g of beef tripe.
- It’s 2 stalks of lemon grass, take only the white part, bruised.
- Prepare 2 inch of galangal, bruised.
- You need 1 tbsp. of salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of palm sugar.
- Prepare 2 L of water.
- It’s 100 g of peanut, roasted and ground coarsely.
- Prepare 5 tbsp. of cooking oil.
- You need of Blend into paste:.
- It’s 10 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 5 of shallots.
- It’s 4 of red chillies.
- It’s 4 of Thai chillies.
- It’s 4 pcs of candlenuts.
- You need 2 tbsp. of tauco (fermented soy beans).
- You need 4 tbsp. of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of black pepper powder.
Coto Makassar or Coto Mangkasara (Makassarese), is an Indonesian traditional soup originating from Makassar, South Sulawesi. It is a variant of soto traditional beef and offal stew with seasoned broth made from ground peanuts and spices. The main ingredient of this soup is beef and it can be mixed with innards such as intestine, liver, lungs, heart, tripe, or cow brain. Cook until boiling and reduce the heat, leave it until it's ready and all the spices are evenly distributed and the taste is right.
Coto Makassar / Beef Soup step by step
- In a soup pot, heat cooking oil and fry spice paste until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in lemon grass, galangal, beef, beef tripe, salt, sugar, peanut and water, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes..
- Remove the beef and beef tripe, cut into small pieces. Return to the pot and bring to another boil, simmer for another 1 hour until tender..
Prepare bean sprouts, glass noodles, cabbage and boiled eggs in a bowl. Flush with hot soup and give tomatoes, fried onions and celery leaves. Serve with rice, chili sauce and other side. Soto (also known as sroto, tauto, or coto) is a traditional Indonesian soup mainly composed of broth, meat, and vegetables. Many traditional soups are called soto, whereas foreign and Western influenced soups are called sop.