How to Cook Appetizing Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese). Browse Our Collection Of Simple Potato Soup Recipes and Prepare Yummy Meals! Tools used to make this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup recipe. Crock Pot: I love this crock pot!
I use it to make everything from. Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, ham, and water/broth in stockpot and bring to boil. Then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. You can cook Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese)
- It’s 16 of small red potatoes, or 8 medium russet, or whatever potatoes enough to equal that.
- Prepare 1 lb. of box Velveeta Cheese or store brand, whatever flavor you like.
- It’s 1-2 of onions any kind, depending on how much you like onions. (Obviously use more than 2 if you like pearl onions, just get at least a lb.).
- Prepare 1 (16 oz.) of container of sour cream, or more depending on if you like it creamy.
- Prepare 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted margarine or butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of instant mashed potatoes (Idahoan brand is my favorite).
- It’s 8 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or make it with 8 cups water and 8 bouillon cubes) plus ~4 cups extra water (enough to cover).
- You need 1 lb. of fresh sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- It’s 1 lb. of cooked cubed ham (approximately).
- It’s 1 Tbsp. of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- It’s of Crackers and bacon bits (optional).
Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt (if using), and pepper. This Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is simple and DELICIOUS!! With potatoes, ham, cheese, scallions, and yummy spices, this soup is FULL of flavor! We tend to have leftover ham after holidays like Christmas and Easter, which is perfect for using in this soup!
Potato Soup (made with ham and cheese) step by step
- Wash and cube potatoes (1 inch thickness and add them with seasoning, carrots and ham to a covered ~12 qt. pot to boil over medium to medium-high heat in the broth until tender. (I like to cheat here and microwave the potatoes before I cut them up to help them along). Make sure you add just enough extra water to cover ingredients (~4 more cups). Stir occasionally..
- Sauté over medium heat, onions and celery in margarine or butter just until tender and add the to the pot..
- After potatoes are really fork tender (may need to taste one), melt the cheese in the microwave or a sauce pan following package directions. (I cube it and microwave 1 min. stir, 1 min. stir and 1 min. more and stir in a splash of milk to loosen it up if necessary). Add to pot and stir..
- Add instant potatoes to pot and stir until dissolved..
- Add sour cream to pot and stir..
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup thicken by simmering over low heat, probably ~10 mins depending on the amount of extra water added..
- Sit back and relax, you’re done, enjoy with/without real bacon bits and/or crackers (I like Ritz)..
We also use leftovers for ham and bean soup, or cheesy ham chowder. A quick and easy classic loaded with veggies, chicken broth, half and half, potatoes, leftover ham, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese! In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrot and onion. Add the shredded cheese and ham cubes to the soup and stir until the cheese is completely melted and the ham is heated through. Now it is time to add the milk to the potatoes.