Recipe: Delicious A Soup of Beans
A Soup of Beans. This dried navy bean soup is made with a ham bone, cubed ham, carrots, onion, celery and bay leaves. I am an Appalachian "kid" and bean soup was a staple in our family. Here is a little trick I learned.
Soup beans refer to brown beans (such as pinto beans) that are cooked with pork for flavoring. Other types of beans can also be used such as white beans, butter beans, or black-eyed peas, but it's the pinto bean that is the favorite of mountain folk. Just divide it up after cooking, cool, then transfer to the freezer for long term. You can cook A Soup of Beans using 16 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of A Soup of Beans
- It’s 15 ounces of dark kidney beans.
- You need 15 ounces of light kidney beans.
- It’s 15 ounces of pinto beans.
- Prepare 15 ounces of Cannellini beans.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery leaves incorporated.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 of large onion diced.
- You need 1-1/2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- You need 1 pint of chicken broth.
- You need 1/3 pound of hog jawls, bacon with skin.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- It’s 1 stick of butter.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of summer savory.
Bean soups have the distinct advantage of tasting terrific either way. This one takes a few short-cuts by using canned beans, but in the end the taste will be. This excellent navy beans and ham soup is a real family favorite of ours and I make it often. Butter Bean Soup with butter beans (mature lima beans), carrots, celery, and fresh dill in a flavorful tomato vegan broth.
A Soup of Beans instructions
- Slice the hog jawls into strips. Remove the skin cutting closely to the edges leaving little fat on the strips. Slice the rest of the hog jawls into small bits. Render the fat off the skin..
- Remove the skin strips and slice them into very small pieces. Add the hog jawls into the pot to render them. Dice the onions..
- Add the onion and skin bits into the pot with the rendered hog jawls, sweat the onions for 15 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and celery sauté for 10 minutes..
- Add the beans, broth, spices and vinegar. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally..
- After it has simmered 30 minutes add the butter and allow to melt covered with the heat off..
With an array of colorful vegetables and fresh dill, this is an entree you can feel good about. My family often makes a meal out of soup, especially when the weather turns cold. Nana's Epic Navy Bean Ham Bone Soup Recipe: A simple, yet utterly tempting, ham and bean soup recipe is a great way to use your leftover holiday ham bone. Ham and Bean Soup is one of our all time favorite foods to come home to on a chilly day. This "no-soaking required" Ham and Bean soup takes just minutes to prepare and cooks effortlessly in your Crock Pot all day long!