Recipe: Perfect Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup. Easy recipe for cabbage roll soup with ground beef, veggies, and rice. If you love cabbage rolls, but don't love all the work involved, this quick cooking cabbage roll soup is for you! Curious about what Hungarian cabbage soup is?
Our recipe for Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls is an authentic family version, modified by four generations of Hungarian-American cooks. Forming the cabbage rolls is the only part of this recipe that requires a little practice, but armed with a few easy tips, you'll get the hang of it quickly. The Best Hungarian Cabbage Soup Recipes on Yummly You can cook Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
- It’s 1 lb of bacon.
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1 of onion, roughly chopped.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 4 cups of low sodium chicken stock.
- You need 2 of Bou beef bouillon cubes.
- It’s 28 oz of can diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 10 oz of can condensed tomato soup.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of V8 vegetable juice.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 1 Head of green cabbage.
- It’s 2/3 cup of long or wild rice.
- Prepare of Parsley.
Old-fashioned Potato Cabbage And Kielbasa Soup, Farmhouse Cabbage Soup With Cannellini Beans And Kielbasa, Farmhouse Cabbage Soup. Cabbage Roll Soup is my favorite way to enjoy cabbage rolls without all of the work! Loads of cabbage, meat and rice in a flavorful tomato broth make the perfect comfort food! When I make these, I use half ground round and half ground pork.
Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup step by step
- Cut your cabbage in half through the stem. Cut each half in half through its stem. Cut the stem out of the cabbage as a wedge. Cut the cabbage into roughly inch by inch pieces..
- Prepare the other ingredients. Combine the onion and garlic. Combine the paprika, black pepper, and thyme. Group the stock, diced tomatoes, soup, and juice. Measure the rice out..
- Add some oil of your choice to your pot and heat over high heat. Add the beef and brown..
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened..
- Add the tomato paste and the spices, and cook until starting to stick to the bottom..
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, V8 juice, beef bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the rice, stir, then add the cabbage. Cover and simmer 45 min..
- While the soup is cooking, fry the bacon (or bake at 375°F for ~20 min)..
- Crumble the cooked bacon and mince a handful of parsley. Add to the soup and serve.
I use shortening in place of the lard; although my husband would prefer the lard. Cabbage roll soup is simple comfort food that feeds a crowd! So hearty and filling and totally easy to throw together. We went to Minnesota last weekend to give my son his graduation present. This cabbage roll soup is so hearty and filling and it's just what the doctor ordered on a cold day.