Recipe: Yummy Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup. Great recipe for Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup. This recipe makes easy work of traditional cabbage rolls. Hungarian cabbage soup is very economical to prepare and the cabbage makes you instantly full.
It is said that this soup was a common comfort for Russian peasants. Health This cabbage roll soup has all the same flavors as classic baked cabbage rolls, but with way less work! This unstuffed cabbage soup is hearty, filling and the perfect choice for an easy dinner option. You can cook Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
- It’s 1 lb of bacon.
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1 of onion, roughly chopped.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 4 cups of low sodium chicken stock.
- Prepare 2 of Bou beef bouillon cubes.
- Prepare 28 oz of can diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 10 oz of can condensed tomato soup.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of V8 vegetable juice.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1 Head of green cabbage.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of long or wild rice.
- It’s of Parsley.
If you love cabbage rolls, but don't love all the work involved, this quick cooking cabbage soup is for you! Growing up, my grandmother's cabbage rolls were a favorite dish on her dinner table. With a large family to feed, she could feed all of her seven children fairly inexpensively with ingredients from the family garden. Unlike my version, most of her ingredients would have been.
Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup instructions
- Cut your cabbage in half through the stem. Cut each half in half through its stem. Cut the stem out of the cabbage as a wedge. Cut the cabbage into roughly inch by inch pieces..
- Prepare the other ingredients. Combine the onion and garlic. Combine the paprika, black pepper, and thyme. Group the stock, diced tomatoes, soup, and juice. Measure the rice out..
- Add some oil of your choice to your pot and heat over high heat. Add the beef and brown..
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened..
- Add the tomato paste and the spices, and cook until starting to stick to the bottom..
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, V8 juice, beef bouillon, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the rice, stir, then add the cabbage. Cover and simmer 45 min..
- While the soup is cooking, fry the bacon (or bake at 375°F for ~20 min)..
- Crumble the cooked bacon and mince a handful of parsley. Add to the soup and serve.
Unstuffed cabbage roll soup has all the great flavors of traditional cabbage rolls, without all the fuss. It's hearty, beefy, and full of veggies. But, if you've ever tried to make them, then you know they can be quite tedious. They're cabbage leaves stuffed with a flavorful beef and rice. I finally got around to it but instead I decided to go the easier route and made them in soup form instead.