Easiest Way to Make Yummy Beef and Barley Soup
Beef and Barley Soup. Beef Barley Soup is incredibly easy and so delicious! Loaded with nutritious veggies, tender beef and plump barley, it's a complete meal in a bowl! All of my favorite soups are fully loaded with goodies including veggies and grains, this Beef Barley Soup definitely fits the bill!
The smell was awesome, and its full of veggies, which is good for the kids. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Beef barley soup should taste deeply beefy, and should be loaded with chunks of tender, flavorful meat, plump grains of barley, and aromatic vegetables. You can cook Beef and Barley Soup using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Beef and Barley Soup
- You need 2 lb of cubed stew beef diced into bite sized pieces.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour, generously seasoned with salt and pepper and optional cayenne powder.
- It’s 2 cups of diced mushrooms (your favorite).
- Prepare 1 of red onion diced.
- Prepare 2 of large celery stalks diced, leafy ends included.
- It’s 2 cups of carrots diced.
- It’s 2 T of minced garlic.
- Prepare 8 cups of beef stock.
- You need 2 of Bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need of large pinch smoked paprika.
- It’s 1 cup of dry red wine.
- You need 1 T (roughly) of worcesterchire sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry barley.
- Prepare 2 T of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 T of butter.
The secret to those results is to make it much like a beef stew, choosing the right cut of beef, handling it the right way. This beef barley soup is a hearty combination of beef, vegetables, barley and mushrooms, all simmered together until tender and flavorful. A hearty dinner option that's easy to make and freezer friendly. My family could eat soup every night.
Beef and Barley Soup step by step
- In a large bowl coat the diced beef in the flour until well covered.
- Add all of the diced veggies to a bowl and give a quick mix.
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven and brown the meat. Stir regularly and once light color is achieved on all sides remove the meat from the pan and set aside..
- Use some of the beef stock to deglaze the bottom of the pot by pouring enough liquid until its about a half inch deep, and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add more liquid as needed until it's all up and whisked into the stock..
- Add all the veggies into the remaining stock and let sweat for 7-10 minutes, then add the remaining 6—7 cups of stock..
- Add the meat and remaining ingredients except the butter and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and leave to cook for at least one hour, or until the carrots are tender. Turn off the heat, stir in the butter and serve..
Beef Barley Soup – A comforting hearty bowl of soup made with carrots, celery, onions, lean beef and pearl barley. This soup is perfect for the cooler evenings as we head into Fall. It's a one pot meal that's really simple to make, but it takes a little over an hour for the meat to get tender, so keep that in. This Beef Barley Soup is really one of the best, heartiest meals for fall, winter or just a chilly summer day. It's thick and rich and loaded with flavor, thanks to those browned chunks of beef and tender vegetables.