Recipe: Tasty Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup
Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup. Loaded with fork-tender beef, mushrooms, and creamy gravy, it's sure to be a party hit! This is the ultimate comfort food, an earth-and-turf combo that smells delicious while cooking and tastes like home. The mushrooms taste so meaty, you can decrease the amount of beef and add more portabellos if you like. —Susan Asanovic, Wilton, Connecticut.
Serve it over noodles and your life is complete! Beef with mushrooms is already a delicious combination to begin with but when you add Chinese flavors into the mix, it becomes even better. The best part about this recipe is that no deep fryer is needed; everything can be done in a fry pan or wok. You can cook Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup
- Prepare 1 tbsp of of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of beef shortribs.
- You need 1 lb of of mushrooms, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of salt & pepper to taste.
- Prepare 2 of whole carrots cut in half.
- You need 1 of whole unpeeled large onion.
- You need 2 of ribs of celery, cut in half, with leaves on.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fresh thyme.
- It’s 2 cup of barley.
Beef and Mushroom Stir Fry is a quick and easy dish that will have you thinking of your mom's cooking, or your favorite Chinese restaurant's effortless rice plate lunch. I remember we used to make this dish regularly when I was working as a teenager in upstate New York at my parents' Chinese restaurant. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef in batches.
Beef, Mushroom & Barley Soup instructions
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot, add beef brown on all sides. Season with salt & pepper..
- Add mushrooms, carrots, celery & onion, add broth, season with salt & pepper, add thyme..
- Bring to boil, then turn down heat to medium low. Cook until beef ribs are cooked..
- Add barley cook until tender..
- Reason with salt & pepper if needed..
Add mushrooms and onions to pan; cook and stir until tender. Stir in broth, wine, brandy, tomato paste and herbs. In food processor, pulse mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce until finely chopped; combine with beef and onion. Stir and add in the butter and garlic. Transfer to a serving platter immediately and serve with white rice.