Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup).
You can have Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of Soup Broth.
- Prepare 1 large of sweet onion peeled and quartered.
- You need 1 small of piece ginger (about 2 inch) peeled and halved length wise.
- Prepare 1 head of full nutmeg (you can also use a small cinnamon stick).
- You need 2 clove of garlic.
- It’s 1 pinch of coriander, cilantro, or basil.
- Prepare 4 medium of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- Prepare 4 cup of vegetable stock.
- You need 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare of Noodles.
- You need 1/2 lb of flat rice noodle (I used thicker noodles but use according to preference).
- It’s of Toppings.
- You need 2/3 packages of extra firm fried until crispy tofu (you can substitute any protein you desire here such as chicken, beef, beans, etc).
- It’s 4 medium of mushrooms (by preference, I like shitake for asian dishes).
- It’s 1 bunch of vegetables of your choice (I used bok choy and borccoli).
- Prepare of Garnishes.
- You need 1 bunch of bean sprouts.
- You need 1 bunch of cilantro (a handful is usually good).
- It’s 1 of chile pepper, or any hot pepper, sliced.
- Prepare 1 of lime cut into slices.
- It’s 2 of stock green onion, sliced into small pieces.
- It’s 1 of your favorite sauces such as Hoisin, Sriracha, etc.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) instructions
- For the broth:.
- Char the onion and ginger under the broiler until slightly black (about 5 minutes per side).
- Dry roast star anise, nut meg and cilantro in a large pot over medium heat until you can smell the flavors. Stir to prevent burning..
- Once flavors are aromatic, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, charred onion and ginger. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat and keep hot until ready to serve..
- For the noodles:.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, turn off heat, add noodles, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes (or follow package directions). Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking..
- For Toppings:.
- Prepare however you desire. I fried the tofu in oil until crispy and cooked the veggies until slightly wilted and warmed throughout. Season as desired, but note the flavor of the broth is the main seasoning for the whole dish.
- For the garnishes:.
- Prepare garnishes and arrange on a plate. Add the desired amount of garnishes to your own dish once meal is prepared and served..