Recipe: Delicious SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN. Even the pickiest pea soup lover will request this time and again. Thick and well-seasoned, it packs a nutritional punch, plus plenty of fiber and protein. Vegan Split Pea Soup is a hearty mix of green split peas, carrots, celery, onion and green cabbage simmered with flavorful herbs – it's my all-time favorite split pea soup recipe!
Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water. You can have SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Prepare 1 lb of split peas.
- It’s 6 of large carrots.
- It’s 5 stalks of celery.
- It’s 1 of medium-large leek with dark green top removed and discarded.
- Prepare 1 of large (not gigantic) onion.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of olive oil Or unsalted butter.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Prepare 9-10 cups of water.
This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham. It's a filling, easy plant based meal! Serve this vegan and vegetarian split pea soup with some crusty bread, biscuits (or vegan biscuits), or a simple side salad for a full meal. A veggie centric, vegan recipe blog dedicated to making healthy food choices more delicious.
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN step by step
- Small chop or large dice all vegetables..
- In Dutch oven (large pot) heat olive oil or unsalted butter to medium-low.
- Sautee veggies slowly about 12 minutes until cooked down slightly, stirring occasionally..
- Add split peas, water and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook 75 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed..
This is a classic split pea soup recipe, adapted from Ina Garten's Parker's Split Pea Soup, with heaps of peas simmering alongside red potatoes and carrots. Vegan Split Pea Soup – flavorful, hearty soup made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot. Serve it up with smoky tempeh crumbles and a slice of crusty bread. There is nothing I love more than a comforting steaming bowl of soup. Many of you were enthusiastic about the lentil soup recipe I posted a few weeks back.