Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup). Try Our Vegetarian Soups Crafted with Ingredients You Can Feel Good About Today. Vegan Pho (Phở) is an easier and healthier version of the traditional Vietnamese noodle soup. This nourishing and flavorful gluten-free and fat-free soup is perfect for any season!
Slice the ½ red onion into half moons. Place vegetable stock, onion, soy sauce, garlic, cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, star anise, and bay leaves in a large pot; bring to a boil. This incredible vegan pho recipe puts a new twist on the classic Vietnamese noodle soup. You can have Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) using 28 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup)
- You need of Noodle Soup.
- Prepare 1 of yellow onion, peeled, cut into large chunks.
- Prepare 3 of shallots, peeled, cut in half.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, cut in half.
- Prepare 5 cm of chunck ginger, peeled, cut in half.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick, cut in half.
- You need 1/2 tsp of whole peppercorns.
- Prepare 6 of whole cloves.
- It’s 4 of star anise.
- You need 1 tsp of neutral-flavored oil.
- Prepare 1 of vegetable bouillon cube.
- It’s 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 2 of carrots, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets.
- You need 20 of medium mushrooms, sliced.
- You need 200 g of rice noodles.
- Prepare of Tofu Strips.
- It’s 1 block of firm tofu, thinly sliced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of neutral oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Optional Garnish *But Highly Recommended.
- You need of Fresh basil.
- It’s of Bean sprouts.
- It’s of Sliced green onions.
- Prepare of Sliced radish.
- It’s of Sliced Lime.
- You need of Hoisin sauce.
- Prepare of Chili sauce or Sriracha hot sauce.
What is Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup? In Vietnam, Pho is served primarily at breakfast time! It is a savory Vietnamese noodle soup, usually beef-based. It's has a unique and aromatic flavor from a curious blend of spices.
Vegan Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) instructions
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger and spices in a medium pot on high heat and dry roast until fragrant, about 2 minutes, stirring throughout. Then add 1 tsp oil and continue to sauté for another 60 seconds before adding 1,5l water and crushing in one vegetable bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 25 min to allow the flavours to meld, partly covered..
- Add a strainer to the top of a large pot on medium-high heat and drain the broth from step #2, straining out the onions, garlic, ginger and spices. To this broth, add the soy sauce and vegetables, partly cover, allowing to simmer for about 10 minutes..
- Prepare the tofu by heating oil in a non-stick pan on high heat, and sprinkle salt to evenly distribute. Then add the sliced tofu to the pan, decrease the heat the heat to medium-high and do not disturb until golden, about 5-8 minutes. Then flip and allow other side to cook; again, do not disturb until golden, about 5 min. Remove from heat and set aside..
- While the veggies cook, add the rice noodles to a small pot on high heat and cover with boiling water. Allow to cook until al dente. Drain and set aside..
- To prepare the noodle bowl, simply divide the noodles between the bowls, ladle veggies and broth on top, add the cooked tofu and load the bowl full with all the garnish. By favourites are the fresh basil, hoisin sauce, bean sprouts and chili sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy while hot!.
- Notes Variations: add any other veggies like bok choy, edamame beans, shiitake mushrooms, fresh cilantro, crispy onion flakes, etc. Speed-it-up: using edamame as your plant-based protein saves time compared to making your own tofu. If doing this, add at the same time you add the carrots to the pot. Storage: best to enjoy immediately. Leftovers can be stored for up to one day and reheated before serving..
To make Pho: Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Ladle Broth over noodles, and top with tofu, sprouts, watercress, and green onions. Serve cilantro, basil, and lime wedges on the side to be stirred into soup. The only thing that's as good as this noodle soup is the amazing aromatic scent that will fill your home as it's cooking.