Recipe: Delicious Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup. Try Our Well Yes!® Soups Crafted with Ingredients You Can Feel Good About. This is a simple vegan, gluten-free recipe for pureed split pea and lentil soup, made with split peas, brown or green lentils, carrots, celery, and herbs. A cozy, warming and hearty Split Pea Soup that comes together in a cinch!
Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to a pot with the olive oil and oregano. Add the dried green split peas, chopped carrots and potatoes and the vegetable stock. Add the peas, barley, salt and water. You can cook Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup
- You need 1 cup of dried split peas.
- You need 1/2 cup of green lentils.
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow lentils.
- It’s 2/3 cup of barley.
- It’s 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 medium of onions.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 5 medium of carrots.
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Allrecipes has dozens of hearty vegan soup recipes that your whole family will love, including easy vegan bean soups, creamy lentil soups, and more. Simple Tomato Soup This is a simple tomato soup recipe with lots of tomato flavor. A thick, hearty tomato based soup loaded with fresh vegetables and herbs.. Sweet and smoky, this is a low fat, vegetarian version of our famous split pea soup.. and delicious, vegetarian lentil soup.
Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup step by step
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
Whole cloves are added during cooking, for extra flavor. This soup can easily be made vegetarian by. This hearty vegan lentil soup is loaded with spices and vegetables like carrots, golden potatoes, celery, and spinach. It's a super easy, cozy lunch or dinner! Right up there with guacamole and granola , soup is one of those things I'd always rather do homemade rather than purchase if possible.