How to Prepare Appetizing Harira – Red Lentil Soup
Harira – Red Lentil Soup. Beautifully spiced Moroccan lentil soup with red lentils and chickpeas. Super healthy, low-fat, high-protein, easily made vegan. This Moroccan Lentil Soup is hearty, healthy and delicious ~ tender red lentils and chickpeas flavored with warm, fragrant Moroccan spices.
There are many variations, and recipes are often passed down from generation to generation. Some versions, such as this one, feature broken pieces of vermicelli. This easy Moroccan Red Lentil Soup recipe is similar to classic harirra but with healthy swiss chard. You can have Harira – Red Lentil Soup using 21 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Harira – Red Lentil Soup
- You need of onion (chopped).
- Prepare of carrot (chopped).
- It’s of parsley (finely chopped).
- Prepare of cilantro (finely chopped).
- You need of garlic (minced).
- It’s of ginger (finely minced).
- It’s of turmeric.
- You need of cinnamon.
- You need of cumin.
- Prepare of cayenne.
- You need of pimentón dulce (or other smoked sweet paprika).
- It’s of pepper (or more to taste).
- You need of salt (or more to taste).
- It’s of diced tomatoes.
- You need of red lentils (dry).
- Prepare of vegetable broth.
- You need of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare of side (garnish).
- It’s of limes (cut into small wedges).
- Prepare of of cilantro (finely chopped).
- It’s of pita breads (or toasted sliced baguette).
In a effort to clean out my pantry, I decided to use up my remaining red lentils in a Moroccan harira-like concoction with lots of carrots and red chard mixed in. French Onion Soup (Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée). Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup Recipe. This soup reheats beautifully, and also freezes well.
Harira – Red Lentil Soup step by step
- Heat olive oil in large pot or dutch oven. Sauté onion, carrot, parsley and cilantro until caramelized..
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the garlic, ginger and all of the spices. Sauté until fragrant; less than a minute..
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 50 minutes, or until the lentils have cooked thoroughly and soup has thickened. Salt to taste..
- Serve with fresh lime wedges, chopped cilantro and toasted bread of your choice..
When the lentils are cooked, blend the soup, add the lime juice and check the seasoning. This makes a fairly thick soup, so feel free to thin it a bit with water until you reach your desired consistency. Roasting carrots brings out their natural sweetness. Together, with roasted garlic, they add wonderful flavour to this pretty and satisfying split red lentil Remove pot from the heat. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup (or purée in batches in a blender or food processor), then stir in the cream.