Recipe: Perfect Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup. Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup – One secret ingredient makes this the ultimate meatless matzo ball soup! Savory chicken flavor without the meat. Over the years I've made several attempts at homemade vegetarian matzo ball soup with varying degrees of success.
Sign up for our Nosher recipe newsletter! When all matzo balls are formed and water is boiling, carefully drop each one into the boiling water. No-Chicken Matzo Ball Soup (Pareve, Passover). You can have Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup
- You need 4 of eggs.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of matzo meal.
- It’s 1/4 c of seltzer or club soda.
- It’s 1 tsp of sea salt.
- It’s 3 of medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin.
- You need 1 (32 oz) of carton + 1 14 oz can of Swanson's vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 c of fresh parsley, chopped.
Over the years, I've tried my hand at creating a vegetarian matzo ball soup for Passover. Some attempts were so-so, some were pretty good, but I never really hit on one worth recording — until now, that is. Matzo ball soup has been on my "to do" list for a looooong time, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity. I'll readily admit, I've never made matzo ball soup before this week.
Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup step by step
- Mix eggs well until pale in color. Add olive oil, mix well. Add matzo meal and mix lightly to incorporate. Add seltzer or club water and salt. Mix lightly until a firm dough forms..
- Refrigerate matzo ball dough for at least 30 minutes..
- Heat vegetable stock in a medium stock pot on med high. Add carrots and cook 10 minutes on a low boil..
- Form matzo ball mix in 2 inch balls with hands moistened with cold water. Drop in the stock and boil covered on med heat for 30 minutes. You should have 12 matzo balls. Check every 10 minutes and add water if stock evaporates. Add parsley 10 minutes before cooking is complete..
I read through some fantastic tutorials and myth busters about matzo balls over at Serious Eats. Vegetarian Matzo Ball Soup En Español. Drop the balls one at a time into the boiling water. My matzo balls, neither heavy as lead nor light as a feather, are al dente, infused with fresh ginger and nutmeg. To shape and cook the matzo balls, fill a wide, deep pan with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.