Canh Kho Qua (Bitter Melon Soup). Pour-over black coffee is something I'm nuts. You either love bitter melon (khổ qua) or you hate it and nothing in between. Growing up Kim loved it and ate bitter melon soup (canh khổ qua) and stir fries routinely while I, on the A member of the squash family, bitter melon is grown all over the tropics of both the western and eastern hemispheres.
The soup has a light bitter taste if you eat the gourd directly. Or you can have the soup and. Canh khổ qua thườnng được nấu trong các dịp lễ Tết, đặc biệt để cúng tất niên, để mong cho cái „khổ" nó „qua" đi. You can have Canh Kho Qua (Bitter Melon Soup) using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Canh Kho Qua (Bitter Melon Soup)
- It’s 4 medium of length 8-12 inches bitter melons.
- It’s 10 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 cup of chicken stock(broth).
- It’s 2 stalk of green onion (thinly chopped).
- Prepare 1 lb of ground pork.
- It’s 2 tsp of fish sauce.
- You need 2 tsp of ground pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 2 of peeled shallot.
- It’s 2 of minced shallot.
- Prepare 1 cup of wood ear mushroom, soak in warm water(10min), cut thinly.
- Prepare 1 of pack knife fish paste.
- You need 1 cup of glass noodle (soaked in water for 10 min) cut into small pieces.
Use the handle of a teaspoon to remove the seed and fiberous part inside the bitter melons. Stuff the meat mixture into the bitter melon. Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup is made by coring bitter melon and filling it with a ground meat and shrimp mixture and then cooking into a light and tasty soup. If you prefer a more flavorful broth, use chicken or vegetable stock.
Canh Kho Qua (Bitter Melon Soup) instructions
- Cut bitter melon to 3 inch length and remove fibrous part, and rinse. Bring a pot of water to a boil and put melon into it for about 1-2 minutes. Empty the water of pot to remove some of the melon's bitterness.
- Combine pork, fish paste, mushroom, noodle, minced shallot, salt, sugar, pepper, and green onion into a bowl. Mix well and knead (with hand) for 5 min, cover, and set aside for 15min.
- Stuff mix into melon, not to tight! Add water and chicken stock to pot, fish sauce, and salt. Stir well and bring to boil, and then add melon. Cook for 20-30min, do not cover. Remove the top layer of foam buildup occasionally, though it is ready to eat after about 30 minutes of boiling on high. It will make the melon more tender if you let it simmer on low for an additional 2 hours..
On these days, the Vietnamese stuffed bitter melon soup recipe is eaten with the hope that "difficult, hardship passed". It is a reason why Southern Vietnamese calls this dish under the strange but meaningful name of "Canh Kho Qua". Use a spoon or paring knife to Filed Under: Soups and Stews, Vegan, Vegetarian, Vietnamese Tagged With: bitter melon, bittermelon, Canh Khổ Qua Chay, gourd, Khổ. I made Canh Bi/Bau Nhoi Thit (Vietnamese Pork-Stuffed Winter Melon Soup). Click the picture for better image quality.