Recipe: Perfect spicy black eyed pea soup
spicy black eyed pea soup. This collards and black-eyed peas soup is spicy, smoky, vegan, and low-fat. Make it quickly in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker! I've had a package So in the end, I took an old favorite soup, Lorna Sass' Collards and Black-eyed Pea Soup, and gave it the Louisiana treatment: green bell peppers.
This is a wonderful spicy and flavorful soup. Perfect for a crisp fall day. It is incredibly easy too and goes great with corn bread! You can cook spicy black eyed pea soup using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of spicy black eyed pea soup
- It’s 13 oz of dry black eye peas.
- It’s 4 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 cup of water.
- You need 1/3 large of onion.
- It’s 1 medium of red pepper.
- Prepare 1 medium of green pepper.
- It’s 2 1/2 tbsp of minced jalapenos.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt (may add more to suit your taste).
- You need 3/4 envelope of chicken bolion cube.
- You need 1 packages of smoked turkey sausage (you can use any smoked meat of your choice).
- It’s 4 slice of turkey bacon (you can use pork bacon as well).
- You need 1 can of okra.
Finally got out the dry black eyed peas my daughter got from her Organic farm coop she belongs to. Found numerous recipes to look through. These spicy black-eyed peas, also known as Hoppin' John, make a tasty meal for any day of the week, but it is best on New Years Day! These Southern black-eyed peas are a traditional New Year's Day dish, also known as Hoppin' John.
spicy black eyed pea soup instructions
- soak beans in bowl of water over night. Make sure you put enough water in the bowl beacuse the beans will expand.
- cut up all vegetables in to bite size pices.
- cook turkey Bacon 1/2 way & cut into 1in pieces.
- put all ingredients into crock pot & set on low. Cook for 8 to 10 hrs.
- goes good with multi grain bread & rice.
Black-eyed peas, along with greens and cornbread. Sort peas and soak in plenty of water overnight. Give a bowl of black-eyed pea soup a Cajun kick with spicy sausage and Tobasco sauce. This is a really good low-budget soup, although that shouldn't be the reason you want to make this. Sometimes people call this black-eyed "bean" soup and it is a lot like bean soup.