Pea Sprout (Pea shoot) Soup. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pea shoots and onions to hot oil. Pea shoots are the leaves that sprout from the traditional garden pea plant.
Pea shoots are packed with Vitamins A, C, and folic acid. Like most green leafy vegetables, pea shoots – the young tendrils and leaves of the garden pea plant – are incredibly nutrient-dense. You can start looking for them at farmers markets or Asian markets in the spring and early summer. You can cook Pea Sprout (Pea shoot) Soup using 7 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pea Sprout (Pea shoot) Soup
- You need 100 g of minced pork.
- It’s 1 of bundle of pea sprouts (pea shoots).
- It’s 2 of heads of shallots.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of fish sauce.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare of some cooking oil.
- Prepare of some salt and seasoning powder.
It is important to avoid using other pea species especially coming from the Genus Lathyrus, which may include Lathyrus sativus, L. cicera and L. clymenum. These types contain a toxin called lathyrogen. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Pea shoots are delicious, super-easy to grow, and reasonably economical.
Pea Sprout (Pea shoot) Soup instructions
- Season minced pork with fish sauce and black pepper..
- Rinse the pea sprouts thoroughly..
- Peel and cut shallots into thin slices..
- Put 2 teaspoons of cooking oil on a frying pan and sliced shallots to fry. Do not fry well as the shallots will be easily burnt when adding and tossing the pork..
- When there is sizzle and the shallots become hot, add minced pork and toss well until fully cooked..
- Add a bowl of water and bring to the boil.
- When the water boils, add the pea sprouts..
- Pea sprouts are quickly cooked through, so add them in and flip them over, when the water boils, done! Taste to check the flavour and season with salt, seasoning powder and fish sauce if desired..
- Pour all into a serving bowl if you want to eat immediately. If not, remove pea sprouts and meat leaving the liquid in pan, when ready to serve add the liquid later..
- This cooking method can be applied for Vietnamese katuk (sweet leaf), bok choy (Chinese cabbage)….
Many quick-growing sprouts, microgreens, and shoots can be prohibitively expensive, but I've found pea shoots to be budget-friendly. I've included data on costs and yields here. You can grow pea shoots outside, or on a sunny window ledge. When growing Pea Shoots: You really MUST Pre-Sprout before planting. Put seed* into a bowl or your Sprouter.