Recipe: Yummy Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup. Lentil soup on its own can seem bland and boring. But, add in some delicious veggies and leftover ham chunks, and you've got yourself an irresistible soup that every member of your family will love! Whenever we cook up a ham for dinner, we use this amazing Riesling Peach Glazed Ham recipe.
Cooked sliced smoked sausage or diced cooked. Put your leftover ham to work and make it on the stove, in a pressure cooker, or in your crockpot! Soup has many superpowers: it warms us up, helps heal us when we are sick This ham bone and lentil soup is perfect for the stove, the pressure cooker, or the crockpot, depending on what you want to use. You can have Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup using 30 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
- Prepare of Base.
- You need of Hunk of butter (or oil).
- You need 1 of onion, diced.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 3 of carrots.
- It’s 1 tsp of flour.
- You need Splash of wine.
- Prepare 1 cup of stock (chicken/pork/veggie all work).
- You need of Bouquet Garni (herb bundle).
- You need of Cheesecloth.
- Prepare of Butcher’s twine.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves, broken.
- It’s 2 of allspice.
- It’s 2 of star anise.
- Prepare 4 of cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of fenugreek.
- It’s 1 of dried chili pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- You need of The Soup.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry lentils (green or yellow).
- You need 1 of Tupperware of leftover roasted ham, diced.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of garam masala (optional).
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Garnish.
- It’s of Chopped fresh cilantro.
- It’s of Sour cream.
- You need of Croutons.
This lentil soup with ham is a combination of two soup recipes I came across and adapted. I often serve it for Sunday dinner, making enough so there are leftovers for my husband's lunch thermos. A bricklayer, he regularly works outside during winter. —Andi Haug, Hendrum, Minnesota. Like this Ham & Green Lentil Soup recipe?
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup step by step
- Cook your lentils. Wash dry lentils thoroughly (all sorts of weird stuff turns up in dry lentils, I found a piece of wood in mine). Add to a large pot of boiling water, boil for half an hour and drain, reserving water..
- Make your herb bundle. Double layer a square of cheesecloth. Lay all the things you don’t want to chew in the middle. Bundle it up, tying with butcher’s twine. Do not make my mistake and include veggie stalks – I thought it would be an easy way to impart more flavour, but forgot they would expand and stretch out the cheesecloth..
- Make your base. Melt some butter; sauté onions, carrots, etc. until soft. Add the herb bundle, push it around for a bit, then toss it in the soup pot. Add minced garlic, cooking briefly. Add flour and cook until nutty. Splash in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the good bits while letting the alcohol evaporate. Slowly incorporate stock..
- Amass the soup! Add your delicious veggie mixture to a crock pot or large soup pot. Add the cooked lentils. Add the reserved lentil water until everything looks a bit too runny. Add cumin and garam masala, if using, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for as long as you’ve got (1-3h) on low heat..
- Get some texture. Dig out the herb bundle and 2 cups of soup. Purée the rest with a hand blender. Return veggies. Fry ham (with basting sauce, if you still have it) and add..
- Garnish and serve!.
You'll find many more delicious soup ideas in our Soups Category and lots more leftover ideas in our Leftover Recipes Category. To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent. Lentil Soup is definitely a classic dish in our home. As a staple in Italian cuisine, and of the Cucina Povera, (poor man's food or peasant food) – lentils. I love Easter leftovers almost as much as the original meal- especially if we're talking about ham.