Recipe: Appetizing Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru)
Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru). Tonjiru (豚汁) is a hearty miso soup with pork slices and vegetables. Packed with loads of vegetables and a small amount of pork, tonjiru is quite filling but you will be surprised to know the calories in tonjiru are low. Tonjiru is a savory pork and vegetable miso soup with an excellent source of B vitamins, fiber, and minerals and it's nourishing and oh-soul-fulfilling!
Tonjiru (sometimes called Butajiru) is a hearty pork and vegetable miso soup. When I was in college, I used to make a big pot of this pork and vegetable miso soup and ate it throughout the week. Tonjiru (or Butajiru) is a kind of Miso Soup with pork and a lot of root vegetables such as Gobo (burdock root) and carrot. You can cook Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru) using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru)
- You need 200 g of thinly sliced pork rib.
- You need 100 g of carrot.
- It’s 100 g of onion.
- It’s 100 g of white Daikon raddish.
- Prepare 1/4 of gobo (burdock root, optional).
- Prepare 1/2 of tofu or atsuage (thick deep fried tofu).
- It’s 100 g of konnyaku.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 1000 mL of Dashi broth (or dissolve 1 tbsp Dashi powder in 1000 mL of water).
- It’s 1 tbsp of soy sauce : (A).
- It’s 3 tbsp of miso : (A).
- Prepare 1 tsp of sesame oil : (A).
Even though it is a Miso soup, Tonjiru tastes very different from ordinary Miso Soup. Tonjiru has a distinct pork flavor and strong taste from Gobo. We are making healthy, nutritious Tonjiru, pork miso soup with lots of vegetables. The root vegetables and pork will warm you up.
Pork Miso Soup (Tonjiru) instructions
- Cut the daikon and carrot into quarter slices. Thinly slice the burdock root diagonally and thinly. Cut the onion into bite-size chunks..
- Cut the tofu and the Konnyaku into bite-size chunks. Boil the Konnyaku for 2-3 minutes to remove their scum. Cut the sliced pork into 2 cm width..
- Add the vegetable oil and the pork in a pot. Stir-fry over medium heat until its colour changes..
- Pour the Dashi broth. Heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Skim the scum from the soup..
- Add the Atsuage (or tofu) and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes..
- Add the condiments (A) to dissolve miso..
Tonjiru is a kind of miso soup, simmered with pork and vegetables. It has more ingredients than that of miso soup that you may know. My mum used to cook it in a cold winter. #miso #soup #Japanese Common ingredients for pork miso soup- tonjiru. During the fall or winter seasons it is common to see the more substantial Pork Miso Soup. This is miso soup is more like a stew with large vegetables and meat to make it more of a meal in itself and like the best stews-even better the next day.