ABC Soup. ABC Soup is often cooked with either pork ribs or chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions and sometimes celery. It is a nourishing soup that many Chinese children have grown up with and is one of my family's favourite soup. ABC soup is a nourishing soup cooked with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions and pork ribs/bones or chicken.
Instead of opening a can of alphabet soup, why not make some from scratch? Kids of all ages love this traditional ABC soup with a tomato base, ground beef and alphabet pasta. —Sharon Brockman, Appleton, Wisconsin ABC soup is as easy as ABC to make. It's nourishing, uses very simple ingredients, and just so tasty! You can cook ABC Soup using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of ABC Soup
- It’s 500 grams of Pork bones (or 1/2 chicken).
- It’s 2 each of tomato.
- You need 2 each of potatoes.
- You need 1 each of onion.
- Prepare 2 stick of corn on the cob.
- Prepare 1 stick of carrot.
- It’s 600 ml of water.
Great for a cold day or when you feel like something healthy and comforting. This soup is called ABC soup because it is super easy to prepare, as simple as ABC! The soup in the upper pot is steamed by the boiling water in the bottom pot. Place the meat in a large stock pot, and cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown.
ABC Soup step by step
- Wash the ingredients thoroughly. Peel and skin the carrot, potatoes, onions. Peel off the ears of the corn, remove the corn silks.
- Wash the meat (both chicken and pork bones work fine)..
- Blanch the meat, then run under running water for about 10 seconds.
- In a separate pot, bring the water to boil, then add in the ingredients. Bring to low heat and let the soup simmer for around 1hr..
- Add salt to taste..
This Chinese pork ribs soup with vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery) is commonly known as "ABC soup" or "luo song tang" 罗宋汤 here. I think every family who cooks Chinese soups in Singapore (and Malaysia) cook some form of ABC soup if you see potatoes, carrots, corn etc in their pot. "A for A-nion, B for B-otato, C for C-arrot". I love how one reader creatively explain the origins of the name for "ABC" soup, a popular home-cooked Chinese soup in Singapore & Malaysia. My bowl of ABC soup (aka "luo song tang" 罗宋汤 in Chinese) is simmered with chicken, potato, onion, carrot, celery, sweet corn and tomato. I sometimes cook ABC soup with pork ribs instead of.