Easiest Way to Make Delicious Easy Egg Drop Soup
Easy Egg Drop Soup. It's also one of the easiest soups I know. Reviews for: Photos of Easy Egg Drop Soup. It's made with eggs, ginger, green onions, and mushrooms.
You may have noticed that classic egg drop soup has a slight thickness to it, and the broth isn't as thin as a traditional chicken broth. Egg drop soup (蛋花湯) is a Chinese soup made by adding well-beaten eggs into boiling chicken broth to create long wispy strands of egg. Fast, easy, and virtually no prep required, this egg drop soup recipe is guaranteed to be your new wintertime staple. You can have Easy Egg Drop Soup using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Easy Egg Drop Soup
- You need 4 cups of unsalted stock (Chicken, pork, veg or any combo thereof is fine. Beef would taste ok, but if you used a roasted bone stock, you might get a darker than desired broth.).
- It’s 4 cups of water.
- It’s 1 of medium carrot, sliced into 1/4" thick slices.
- Prepare 3 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- You need 2.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil (optional).
- It’s 1.5-3 Tablespoons of corn or potato starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water (this is called a slurry).
- Prepare 2-3 of eggs, thoroughly whisked.
- It’s of finely chopped green onion for garnish.
- You need to taste of black pepper.
How to thicken egg drop soup? If you prefer a thicker texture try adding starch to the soup. Slowly stir the paste into the chicken stock BEFORE adding the eggs. Egg drop soup (also called egg flower soup) is known as 蛋花湯 in Chinese.
Easy Egg Drop Soup step by step
- Put stock, water, carrot and garlic into a pot or large saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes or so, covered, over medium high heat..
- Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for another 10 minutes or so to extract flavor from the aromatics – sweet from the carrot, savory from the garlic..
- Skim out the carrot and garlic, turn the heat back up to medium high, and stir in salt, toasted sesame oil, and starch slurry. Bring the soup back up to a boil for 2 minutes (bringing it to a boil activates the starch so it thickens the soup more effectively)..
- Turn the heat off and give the soup a few good stirs to let it cool just a little bit. Then stir again to create a gentle whirpool, pour in your whisked eggs, and let the gentle heat do its magic to cook the eggs. Stir gently again once or twice to distribute the eggs. You want the soup at a temperature where the egg just sets, which is what gives it that silky texture. If the egg overcooks, then it takes on a chewier more scrambled texture, but the starch does help to prevent overcooking..
- Ladle into a bowl and garnish with chopped green onion and black pepper to taste. (White pepper is often used for this soup, but if you don't have white pepper, like I don't have white pepper, then black pepper it is! 🙂 ) Enjoy!.
In its simplest form, the only ingredients needed are the broth itself, eggs, and spring If you are preparing this easy egg drop soup recipe for someone who is ill, try adding some fresh ginger. Among its many benefits, ginger is. You might recognize egg drop soup from the bowl you get with the lunch plates at Chinese-American restaurants, with swirling strands of eggs floating in a light, savory broth. I know it from my Chinese grandmother, who made this quick and easy soup even though she was also known for her other. Egg drop soup also is known as egg flower soup.