Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings). Great recipe for Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings). This recipe is adapted from a Schwäbish (south-west Germany) Cookbook I have at home. I love these dumplings called Grießklöchen, Knöpfle, Grießnockern, etc., that are made with semolina grits.
Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer. I love these dumplings called Grießklöchen, Knöpfle, Grießnockern, etc., that are made with semolina grits. The grits are called Grieß in German are a little coarser than semolina. You can cook Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings) using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings)
- You need of Soup:.
- Prepare of large onion.
- You need of carrots.
- Prepare of butter.
- You need of vegetable or chicken broth, or water.
- You need of salt & pepper.
- It’s of chopped parsley, chives for garnish.
- It’s of Grießklöchen/Dumplings:.
- Prepare of butter.
- Prepare of water, milk or mix.
- Prepare of fine Semolina grits (Weichweizen Grieß).
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- It’s of nutmeg.
Airy semolina dumplings bob in the fragrant, paprika- and caraway-spiced broth of this warming chicken soup, along with tender chunks of carrot, parsnip, and celery. Place beef bones and beef shank in a large pot; add cold water, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, and salt. To serve, divide the broth and dumplings into soup plates and sprinkle with the cress. These famous soup dumplings (Griessnockerl-Suppe: Griess = semolina, Nockerl = dumpling and Suppe = soup) are served in most traditional Austrian Gasthäuser (restaurants) and are also very common in Bavaria, the southern end of Germany.
Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings) instructions
- For the soup, melt butter in a medium pot and saute the onions on medium-low until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add carrots and saute for another 5 minutes..
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat a little and cook for 20 minutes until carrots are soft..
- Puree the soup and add salt and pepper to taste..
- While the soup is cooking, you can prepare the semolina dumplings. First bring the water and butter to a boil, then pour in the semolina. Turn heat to low, and stir until it forms a clumpy dough that separates from the pot bottom..
- Let the semolina cool for about 10 minutes, then mash out any big clumps with a fork. Add eggs and mix in well, along with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. You can add a little chopped parsley or chives in there too if you want..
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then turn to low heat. With wet hands and/or a spoon, form small oblong dumplings with the semolina dough..
- Plop the dumplings into the hot water and simmer on very low heat for about 10 minutes..
- After 10 minutes, they should be floating. (if not, check that there weren't any that got stuck to the bottom!)..
- Divide the soup into bowls and add a few of the dumplings to each bowl. Garnish with chives and parsley..
Barely without exception, they are floating in a bowl of homemade clear beef stock. Semolina Dumpling Soup with vegetables, a healthy, delicious and super quick soup for kids and grown-ups alike. The semolina dumplings are soft and fluffy, and cooked to perfection. The Best Semolina Soup Recipes on Yummly Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Cooking Classy.