Easiest Way to Prepare Tasty Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings)
Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings). Great recipe for Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings). This recipe is adapted from a Schwäbish (south-west Germany) Cookbook I have at home. I love these dumplings called Grießklöchen, Knöpfle, Grießnockern, etc., that are made with semolina grits.
Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer. I love these dumplings called Grießklöchen, Knöpfle, Grießnockern, etc., that are made with semolina grits. The grits are called Grieß in German are a little coarser than semolina. You can cook Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings) using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings)
- You need of Soup:.
- Prepare of large onion.
- You need of carrots.
- Prepare of butter.
- You need of vegetable or chicken broth, or water.
- You need of salt & pepper.
- It’s of chopped parsley, chives for garnish.
- It’s of Grießklöchen/Dumplings:.
- Prepare of butter.
- Prepare of water, milk or mix.
- Prepare of fine Semolina grits (Weichweizen Grieß).
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- It’s of nutmeg.
Airy semolina dumplings bob in the fragrant, paprika- and caraway-spiced broth of this warming chicken soup, along with tender chunks of carrot, parsnip, and celery. Place beef bones and beef shank in a large pot; add cold water, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, and salt. To serve, divide the broth and dumplings into soup plates and sprinkle with the cress. These famous soup dumplings (Griessnockerl-Suppe: Griess = semolina, Nockerl = dumpling and Suppe = soup) are served in most traditional Austrian Gasthäuser (restaurants) and are also very common in Bavaria, the southern end of Germany.
Carrot Soup with Grießklöchen (Semolina Dumplings) instructions
- For the soup, melt butter in a medium pot and saute the onions on medium-low until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add carrots and saute for another 5 minutes..
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat a little and cook for 20 minutes until carrots are soft..
- Puree the soup and add salt and pepper to taste..
- While the soup is cooking, you can prepare the semolina dumplings. First bring the water and butter to a boil, then pour in the semolina. Turn heat to low, and stir until it forms a clumpy dough that separates from the pot bottom..
- Let the semolina cool for about 10 minutes, then mash out any big clumps with a fork. Add eggs and mix in well, along with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. You can add a little chopped parsley or chives in there too if you want..
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then turn to low heat. With wet hands and/or a spoon, form small oblong dumplings with the semolina dough..
- Plop the dumplings into the hot water and simmer on very low heat for about 10 minutes..
- After 10 minutes, they should be floating. (if not, check that there weren't any that got stuck to the bottom!)..
- Divide the soup into bowls and add a few of the dumplings to each bowl. Garnish with chives and parsley..
Barely without exception, they are floating in a bowl of homemade clear beef stock. Semolina Dumpling Soup with vegetables, a healthy, delicious and super quick soup for kids and grown-ups alike. The semolina dumplings are soft and fluffy, and cooked to perfection. The Best Semolina Soup Recipes on Yummly Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Cooking Classy.