Borscht (Beetroot Soup) and Dumplings. Contrary to popular belief, Russians don't spell their beetroot soup borscht (that's a Yiddish spelling) and it's really not a Russian invention (the Ukrainians This soup is excellent with little pirozhki (similar to pierogi), or Ukrainian Caraway Dumplings cooked right in the broth. A vibrant beetroot soup recipe wild mushroom dumplings. Get the recipe for borscht with uszka at Sainsbury's today!
It is characterized by deep red color due to the beets. There are many different borscht recipes that contain the same ingredients, only. The Beetroot Soup (Borscht) recipe out of our category Stew! You can have Borscht (Beetroot Soup) and Dumplings using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Borscht (Beetroot Soup) and Dumplings
- It’s of large beets.
- It’s of large onion.
- Prepare of garlic bulbs.
- Prepare of florets broccoll.
- It’s of large tomatoes.
- You need of Vegetable oil.
- You need of vegetable stock.
- Prepare of Bay leaves.
- Prepare of For the dumplings:.
- Prepare of mug of all plain flour.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of mug milk.
- Prepare of egg.
- Prepare of Pepper.
- It’s of lemon.
Meanwhile, peel the celery root and coarsely grate. Peel the beetroot and cut into cubes. Peel the onions and chop and peel the garlic and chop finely. Borsch is a traditional Ukrainian vegetable soup with beetroot.
Borscht (Beetroot Soup) and Dumplings step by step
- Fry the onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add the beetroot, tomatoes and broccoli..
- Add the stock and the bay leaves..
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the beets are nice and soft..
- Remove the bay leaves. Blend with hand blender until a smooth consistency. Add a little more water or stock if the soup is too thick..
- Make the dumplings: Whisk the flour, baking powder pepper and salt in a large bowl..
- Whisk together the egg and milk. Mix this into the bowl. You should now have a thick gloopy batter..
- Add in single large spoons to the soup (an ice cream scoop is perfect for this.) These will expand in the pot as they steam so leave some space between the spoons of batter..
- Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. I like to serve this with a lemon wedge and some mature cheddar cheese crumbled on top, but you can leave this out if you prefer..
Actually borsch is not a Russian cuisine (though, of course, it is very popular in Russia). In place of borsch there is shchi (Russian cabbage soup) in Russia. Borscht (also spelt borsht, borsch or bortsch) or Beetroot Soup is a traditional Jewish delicacy. Beetroot Soup Recipes are quite varied, and in Omsk, Russia, I tasted a much thinner version of Borsht, made mainly with cabbage and just a few shreds of beetroot and carrot. This warming beet and vegetable soup is very tasty and very easy to make.