Easiest Way to Prepare Delicious Polish Cabbage Soup (Kapusniak)
Polish Cabbage Soup (Kapusniak). There are hundreds of variations on classic Polish kapusniak (sauerkraut and sausage soup). My version lays no claims to authenticity, but it is simple, delicious, and deeply nourishing. Sauerkraut and fresh cabbage come together for extra flavor in the broth.
Make this soup one day in advance so it can be defatted before serving. Many kapuśniaks are made with either fresh cabbage or sauerkraut, but this. Kapusta – a delicious, traditional Polish cabbage soup made with pork, cabbage, sauerkraut, carraway seed, onion and my Babci's secret ingredient – stewed **Since originally publishing this recipe, a reader has let us know that this soup is also known as Kapusniak, or according to Wikipedia. You can have Polish Cabbage Soup (Kapusniak) using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Polish Cabbage Soup (Kapusniak)
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 lb of ground chuck.
- You need 2 of fresh bratwurst links, removed from their casings.
- It’s 1 of small head of cabbage, cored and cut in eighths shreds.
- You need 3 of carrots, sliced.
- It’s 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of poblano pepper, fine dice.
- It’s 1 of large potato, peeled and cubed.
- You need 1 (14.5 ounce) of can of petite dice tomatoes, juice included.
- Prepare 8 ounces of sauerkraut with juice.
- Prepare 16 ounces of tomato juice.
- You need 32 ounces of Beef "Cooking Stock".
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of water.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of marjoram.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of chili powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of paprika.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of cracked pepper.
This time I am presenting you how to make Kapusniak. It is a cabbage soup, perfect comfort food for autumn dinner. This recipe serves a lot of people but. Cabbage soup may refer to any of the variety of soups based on various cabbages, or on sauerkraut and known under different names in national cuisines.
Polish Cabbage Soup (Kapusniak) instructions
- Assemble all of your ingredients..
- Chop and prep all of your veg for mise en place..
- Melt the butter in a large soup or stock pan over high heat, add the bratwurst meat (decased) and ground chuck, break up with the spoon, and sautee till it gets a little brown. Around 3-5 minutes.
- Add onions, poblano, carrots, and potato. Sweat these ingredients with the meat another 3 minutes or so..
- Add cabbage and sauerkraut, sweat the cabbage and stir vigorously about 5 minutes..
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, beef stock, water, salt and pepper, and herb and spices..
- Bring to a rolling boil, and lower to a gentle bubbling simmer. Cover and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally..
Often it is a vegetable soup. There are many definitions and examples of comfort food – I'm pretty sure Now, maybe not exactly your typical Polish comfort food (but what would be? Schabowy and potatoes plus surówka?) but kapuśniak is what I want to eat. This Cabbage Soup Recipe is nothing fancy, but the flavor transports me back to my childhood. When I was a kid, my grandmother Ruth often made this Cabbage Soup.