Recipe: Appetizing Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. Making Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker is so easy and perfect for busy weeknight meals. I love using smoked ham hocks in pea soup, it gives the soup a wonderful smoky flavor, but if you don't have ham hocks you can also use a leftover ham bone, ham steak or even smoked turkey leg instead. Split peas take a very long time to soften, so you don't have to worry about overcooking them.
Reviews for: Photos of Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup. To me, split pea soup tastes like home. However, when I tried to replicate our family recipe on my own, I always had trouble finding a ham bone. You can have Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- You need of Soup mix.
- It’s of Dried green split peas..
- You need of Ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham.
- Prepare of Carrots, peeled and sliced..
- Prepare of Onion. Chopped.
- Prepare of Ribs of celery plus leaves. Chopped..
- It’s of Garlic. Minced..
- It’s of Bay leaf.
- It’s of Fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 tsp dried parsley flakes.
- Prepare of Seasoned salt.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- Prepare of Hot water.
- Prepare of Optional but delicious.
- It’s of Andouille Sausage cut into 1/4" rounds.
Slow-cooking the peas gives it the same velvety texture, and the bay leaf and vegetables keep the flavors traditional. Serving it with croutons adds an extra treat. Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup from Delish.com is so easy to make for an appetizer or filling soup dinner any time. Remove ham bone from slow cooker and shred any remaining meat.
Hj's Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup instructions
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients..
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone..
- Remove bones and bay leaf. Chop meat into bite sized pieces..
- Mash peas to thicken more, if desired..
- About an hour before you are ready to serve brown sausage and add to soup. if you are going to add this option..
- Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well..
Split pea soup is something Yummy Hubby has mentioned loving when he was growing up and a dinner I've been meaning to make for a long while now. Vegetarian split pea soup may be the least photogenic recipe I have ever posted, but it's so easy, nutritious, and budget-friendly I just had to. Soup Peas Christmas Braising Slow Cooking Slow Cookers Gluten Free Healthy Bay Leaf Ham Pork Celery Garlic Onions Dinner Leftovers Make Something magical happens when dried split peas break down into a thick, naturally creamy, and delicious soup over several hours in the slow cooker. Slow and steady wins the race with this split pea soup. The reward is a bounty of freezer meals your future self will thank you for.