How to Make Appetizing Italian Lentil Soup with Hot Sausage and Escarole
Italian Lentil Soup with Hot Sausage and Escarole. Lentil soup flavored with sausage and herbs. Serve with Romano cheese sprinkled on top of each serving bowl. I double the amount of sausage and use the hot italian but that's just a matter of personal preference.
Add sausage and cook until browned, stirring. Meanwhile, cut escarole head in half lengthwise. Cut off and discard root end. You can cook Italian Lentil Soup with Hot Sausage and Escarole using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Italian Lentil Soup with Hot Sausage and Escarole
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil, extra virgin.
- You need 1 large of onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1 1/2 lb of ground pork.
- You need 1 tbsp of Italian red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fennel seeds.
- You need 1 tbsp of granulated garlic.
- It’s 1 can of 28oz. whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice.
- You need 5 large of potatoes, diced.
- You need 1 lb of lentils, rinsed.
- It’s 10 cup of water.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Provolone cheese, grated.
- You need 1/4 cup of pecorino Romano cheese, grated.
- Prepare 1 bunch of escarole, torn up.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of ditalini.
Rinse and spin dry using Salad & Berry Spinner. Escarole and beans with sausage is a typical dish in Italian cuisine. If you've had Italian Wedding Soup, then you've probably had escarole. Wash lentils in colander and pick over bad pieces.
Italian Lentil Soup with Hot Sausage and Escarole instructions
- Heat the oil with the onions and salt on low heat in an 8qt pressure cooker..
- After a few minutes, toss in the garlic, and heat until the onions start to soften.
- Toss in the pork with the red pepper flakes, granulated garlic, and fennel seeds..
- When the onions are very translucent, and the pork is cooked through, add the can of tomatoes. Turn the heat up to medium high, and stir frequently, ensuring there is enough liquid on the bottom to keep everything from sticking..
- When the tomatoes are really soft from cooking, mash them up into itty bitty blobs, stir, taste, and adjust this base as needed..
- Add the potatoes and lentils and stir..
- Fill the pressure cooker up with the water to a bit over 2/3 of the pot, seal, turn the heat to high, and bring to pressure..
- Keep it at pressure 10 minutes, remove from heat, and then, 10 minutes later, cool the pot to unseal..
- Stir to break up the lentils a bit, and then add the Provolone and Romano cheeses. Stir again, taste, and adjust the salt, red pepper, and fennel, as desired..
- Return the open pot to low heat and add the escarole. Stir it a bit to incorporate..
- In a separate saucepan, boil the ditalini with a dash of salt until al dente..
- Strain the ditalini and incorporate it into the soup. Stir, taste, adjust as needed, and serve..
In soup pot, combine lentils, cold water. add to soup when ready to serve. Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper ~ Kalyn's Kitchen One-of-Everything Lentil Soup~ The Perfect Pantry Slow Cooker Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup ~ Kalyn's Kitchen Use It or Lose It Lentil and Escarole Season soup with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot. Escarole produce guide and recipes from Martha Stewart, including side dishes, soups, savory tarts, and salads. Escarole and kidney beans are simmered in chicken stock to create the base of this Italian-inspired soup. Serve with roast pork or broiled fish, or toss with hot cooked pasta.