How to Prepare Yummy Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup. We used curly kale for this recipe, but you could use any kale, as well as chard, turnip greens, beet greens, or collards. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside, reserving the water.
It's okay if the kale is still a little wet from rinsing. The water will turn into steam and help it wilt, plus it will help dissolve the browned bits of sausage off the bottom of the skillet. The sausage and bacon in this creamy kale and sausage soup give it a wonderful savory flavor, while the potatoes add just a bit of healthy starchy carb content, the cream a touch of richness, and lemon juice adds a bright acidity that really lets the flavors sing. You can cook Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- You need 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of large stem celery, chopped.
- It’s 3 of medium carrots, cut into 1/4" thick discs (or however you like to chop carrots for soup).
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- It’s 1 bunch of kale, washed well, stems removed, and rough chopped.
- Prepare of optional: 4 cups arugula or spinach (I just happened to have arugula that needed to get used up).
- It’s 6 cups of unsalted liquid (water or broth of choice).
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of salt.
- You need 1 pound of sausage, cut into bite sized pieces.
- It’s 4 of tomatoes, chopped or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I just happened to have fresh ones that were starting to get wrinkly…).
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.
Add to the pan along with the spices and bay leaf. Add sausage, potatoes, kale, and mushrooms to the stockpot. Add half-and-half and season with salt and pepper. Try serving this easy, hearty kale soup recipe from Martha Stewart as the main course of a light meal.
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup instructions
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, bring 1/2 Tablespoon oil up to medium heat and sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until onions start to turn translucent. (About 3 minutes or so.).
- Add kale, arugula, liquid, salt, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Once kale has wilted, add tomatoes, sausage, bay, and oregano and cook, COVERED, for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add mashed potatoes and cook COVERED again for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before the last 10 minutes of cooking, adjust seasoning if needed..
- Enjoy! :).
The kale soup will not only warm you up, but it will also give you the countless health benefits of leafy kale. Cook kale and beans: While sausages are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. An easy one-pan sausage, kale and potato skillet that… This recipe ticks all the boxes—a little meaty, some dark leafy greens, and some starchy goodness. An easy one-pan sausage, kale and potato skillet that pleases everyone, from cook to clean-up crew. This sausage and kale soup recipe puts the essence of Italy right in your bowl.