Recipe: Yummy Moroccan Tomato Chickpea Soup
Moroccan Tomato Chickpea Soup. Harira is a traditional Moroccan soup of tomato, lentils and chickpeas. Wonderfully fragrant with zesty seasoning, it often ranks high on lists of must-try Moroccan foods. No matter what else I make over the course of a given week, I almost always prepare one meal that takes the form of a stew, or a thick soup, or something that can easily be scooped over grains, enjoyed with pita slices, or sopped up with toast.
Some versions, such as this one, feature broken pieces of vermicelli. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot. You can cook Moroccan Tomato Chickpea Soup using 15 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Moroccan Tomato Chickpea Soup
- Prepare of large ripe tomatoes/150 grams cherry tomatoes.
- Prepare of large white onion chopped finely.
- You need of freshly chopped coriander/parsley leaves.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of chickpeas.
- You need of freshly crushed black pepper.
- Prepare of teaspoon/less red chilli flakes.
- You need of freshly chopped kale/baby spinach leaves.
- It’s of Vegetable stock.
- Prepare of thick tomato puree.
- It’s of small carrot peeled and sliced fine.
- It’s of cornflour(optional).
- You need of minced garlic.
- It’s of grated ginger.
- Prepare of olive oil.
This Chickpea Tomato Soup is an easy, hearty soup, loaded with chickpeas and vegetables in every bite. Stove, slow cooker and Instant Pot directions provided. This Moroccan Chickpea Soup recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, it's super easy to make, and it's full of so many rich and delicious flavors. Add in the vegetable stock, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes, and bring to a simmer.
Moroccan Tomato Chickpea Soup instructions
- Soak the Chikpeas overnight. boil it until tender the next day (you can skip this step if using canned peas).
- Rinse thoroughly and chop the tomatoes fine.
- Chop the kale/spinach leaves if desired.
- Strain the water from the chickpeas once boiled.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Add the garlic, ginger and carrot.
- On Low heat sauté until the garlic change colour.
- Add the boiled chickpeas, tomatoes and onion.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée,salt. mix well.
- Add the vegetable stock now and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook covered.
- Make a slurry of cornflour and 2 tablespoon water.
- Once the carrot is softened and the soup reduced a bit, stir in the cornflour slurry(optional).
- Mix well and let the soup simmer until thick.
- Lastly add the kale/spinach leaves and the seasonings.
- Mix well and let the soup simmer for a while before turning off the heat.
- That’s it! our chickpea tomato soup is ready to be served.
- Divide the soup in serving bowls, garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy while warm with breads of your choice..
- Bon Apetit!.
- Tip:cornflour is used to thicken the soup a bit. If you like a liquidy/watery consistency, skip using cornflour.
Instant Pot Moroccan Chickpea Soup is a hearty, vegan recipe that's simple to make, and is full of spice and flavor you'd expect from Moroccan food! This Vegan Moroccan Chickpea Soup is no exception. It's a hearty vegan dish, full of flavor and plant protein. This lemony, peppery soup is traditionally enjoyed at the end of a day of fasting during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Add cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, ginger, hot pepper sauce and saffron.