Lentil Soup with Sausage. Lentil soup flavored with sausage and herbs. Serve with Romano cheese sprinkled on top of each serving bowl. It's almost exactly like Carabba's lentil & sausage soup.
The sausage's flavors are reinforced by adding more garlic and pepper to the soup itself, for pops of flavor. Pleasantly firm but creamy on the inside, Beluga lentils (also known as black lentils) are worth seeking out for this hearty soup because they hold their shape when cooked, adding a lovely texture. This delicious lentil soup is made with spicy smoked sausage and spinach, along with a Cajun or Creole seasoning blend and diced tomatoes. You can cook Lentil Soup with Sausage using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lentil Soup with Sausage
- It’s 1/2 cup of Olive oil.
- Prepare 4 large of Links Sweet Italian Sausage.
- You need 2 medium of carrots sliced.
- Prepare 4 clove of garlic sliced.
- It’s 1 cup of brown lentils rinsed.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 28 oz of can crushed tomatoes.
- Prepare 6 cup of water.
- You need 4 cup of shredded swiss chard or kale.
- You need 1 of Grated pecorino ramano.
- It’s 2 stick of celery sliced.
- It’s 1 medium of onion diced.
- You need 1 of Salt & Pepper.
- Prepare 1 of Crushed red pepper.
The soup is a wonderful combination of ingredients. If you like a lighter soup, consider using chicken or turkey smoked sausage or kielbasa. Kale Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Chickpeas. Eggplant Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach Sausage Lentil Soup.
Lentil Soup with Sausage step by step
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil (enough to coat bottom of pot) in a large pot on medium heat. When hot, add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown, about five minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots, first two garlic cloves, a pinch fo salt, and if you like your soup spicy, a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook with the sausage until the vegetables soften a bit, another 5 minutes. Add the lentils, bay leaves, tomatoes, water (6 cups is, conveniently, 2 empty 28-ounce cans, so you can get any tomato pulp you missed), more salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. (It might be necessary to add more water if the soup gets too thick, though we preferred ours on the thick side.).
- When the lentils are cooked, add the chard and cook until the leaves are tender, just a few minutes more. Discard the bay leaves..
- To finish, divide soup among bowls, then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 garlic cloves to a small skillet and heat over medium until the garlic softens and hisses. Drizzle this over soup bowls, and top with fresh Romano, passing more at the table. Leftovers will keep for several days in the fridge..
I first tasted this wonderful soup at a friend's house. Now it's my favorite, especially on a cool, crisp night. —Catherine Rowe, Berthoud, Colorado. This lentil kale soup starts by sauteing the sausage right in the Instant Pot. That's one of my favorite features. Wine Pairings for Sausage Lentil Soup: Medium-bodied, rustic wines like Chianti, Cotes du Rhone, and Sangiovese have earthy, spicy flavors that echo those in the Italian sausage and lentils.