Lentil and Ham Soup. A leftover meaty ham bone or ham hock flavors this tasty lentil soup. It makes an excellent lunch when the soup is with a sandwich or salad (or just enjoyed in a big The soup lends itself to a variety of different seasonings. All Reviews for Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup.
A bricklayer, he regularly works outside during winter. —Andi Haug, Hendrum, Minnesota. This ham bone and lentil soup is perfect for the stove, the pressure cooker, or the crockpot, depending on what you want to use. All the ways to make Ham and Lentil Soup: On the stovetop, in the crockpot, or in a modern pressure cooker, I've got you covered! You can cook Lentil and Ham Soup using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lentil and Ham Soup
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 2 cup of dried brown lentils, rinsed & picked over.
- You need 2 of carrots, peeled & chopped.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped fine.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/2 cup of white wine or sherry.
- Prepare 7 cup of chicken broth, low-sodium.
- Prepare 1 tsp of fresh thyme, minced.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1 of ham hock.
- Prepare 2 cup of ham, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 lb of kale, stemmed and chopped.
- You need 1 of salt & pepper, to taste.
I also add rice (any kind, but the short sweet brown rice is great) or barley, which is my favorite for it's thickening powers. Risi e Bisi, Italian Rice and Peas. Lentil Soup With Ham Crock Pot Recipes. Red Lentil Ham Carrot SoupReluctant Entertainer.
Lentil and Ham Soup step by step
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering..
- Add lentils, carrots, and onion and cooke until veggies are softened and lentils are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes..
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds..
- Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 1 minute..
- Stir in broth, thyme, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil..
- Add ham hock, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until thickened and lentils are completely tender, about 1 hour..
- Discard ham hock and bay leaf..
- Puree 2 cups of soup until smooth, and return to pot..
- Stir in kale and chopped ham. Simmer, covered, until kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper..
Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Remove the ham hocks and remove the meat. Add the ham back into the soup. Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls and serve with crusty bread. Lentil Soup – super easy, cozy and healthy lentil soup that is huge in flavor.