Recipe: Appetizing Portuguese(kale)soup
Portuguese(kale)soup. Enjoy Our Deliciously Crafted Well Yes!® Minestrone Soup with Kale Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale to the pot.
Heat a deep soup pot set over medium heat. Add the garlic, then cover and sweat, without browning. With a mild flavor resembling that of cabbage, kale is the central ingredient in this traditional Portuguese recipe. You can have Portuguese(kale)soup using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Portuguese(kale)soup
- Prepare 1 of pack linguica (cut up).
- It’s 1 of pack chourice (cut up).
- It’s 1 of head cabbage (cut up).
- You need 1 of bag fresh kale.
- You need 5 of potatoes (cut up).
- You need 1 of can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed).
- It’s 1 of bag small carrots.
- It’s 2 of large cans of beef or chicken broth.
- You need 1 of garlic powder to your liking.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
- You need 1 of water as needed.
- You need 1 of beef or chicken bouillion.
The thick, hearty soup calls for chorizo, a garlicky pork sausage that is available in most grocery stores, but you can also substitute linguica, a Portuguese sausage. DH and I have been going to a little place called Cafe Rio for years. About the only thing we ever order there is Portuguese kale soup. I have tried to duplicate the recipe for several years and this is as close as it gets.
- In large stockpot fry up the two meats (browned all over) about 15-20 minutes..
- Once meats are cooked add one can of broth, this helps to make the broth..
- Add the potato, carrots, cabbage, cook until tender..
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and second can of broth, if there isn't enough liquid, that's when you would add your bouillions and water. Don't water down to much..
- Once veggies are tender add kidney beans and kale. Continue to cook on low heat. The longer it simmers the better the flavor..
- I can't put any real time frames in this recipe and there will be plenty of leftovers to freeze for future meals..
- Serve hot with fresh bread for dipping into the broth. Enjoy!.
The linguica sausage is a must. This is a very flavorful soup that is a comfort food for my family. Her mother had passed it on to her. This soup is easily stretched to make more servings. The Chorizo gives the broth a good base for adding another can of beans or more pasta or a little water.