How to Make Tasty Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup. Sausage, kale, and potatoes give a creamy Italian-inspired soup a hearty, rich flavor. Reviews for: Photos of Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup. Kale sautéed with Italian sausage, onions, garlic and white beans.
After the sausage has browned, stir in the kale. Continue to cook and stir until the kale has wilted. This sausage and kale soup recipe puts the essence of Italy right in your bowl. You can cook Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large stem celery, chopped.
- Prepare 3 of medium carrots, cut into 1/4" thick discs (or however you like to chop carrots for soup).
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- It’s 1 bunch of kale, washed well, stems removed, and rough chopped.
- Prepare of optional: 4 cups arugula or spinach (I just happened to have arugula that needed to get used up).
- You need 6 cups of unsalted liquid (water or broth of choice).
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of salt.
- You need 1 pound of sausage, cut into bite sized pieces.
- You need 4 of tomatoes, chopped or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I just happened to have fresh ones that were starting to get wrinkly…).
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.
Flavors of sweet Italian sausage mingle with savory herbs and garlic. This combination is rounded out with some onion and a. The kale was delicious in the soup. I loved that it didn't get too soft like spinach.
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup instructions
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, bring 1/2 Tablespoon oil up to medium heat and sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until onions start to turn translucent. (About 3 minutes or so.).
- Add kale, arugula, liquid, salt, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Once kale has wilted, add tomatoes, sausage, bay, and oregano and cook, COVERED, for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add mashed potatoes and cook COVERED again for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before the last 10 minutes of cooking, adjust seasoning if needed..
- Enjoy! :).
I will definitely buy You wouldn't want to add any unnecessary carbs to the sausage kale soup. This soup is packed with nutrition from all the kale and protein packed cannellini beans (and the remaining veggies of course), then I love the depth of flavor the sausage adds. Just in time for fall, this dish combines juicy tomatoes with hearty whole-wheat pasta, sausage, and kale. I let my young son pick out seed packets and he chose kale, which grew like crazy. This hearty soup helped make good use of it and rivals a restaurant version that we.