Easiest Way to Cook Appetizing Italian wedding soup
Italian wedding soup. This lovely soup combines extra lean ground beef made into meatballs with thinly sliced escarole or "Coming from Rhode Island, a very ethnic state, this soup was traditionally served at Italian weddings. I used to be intimidated to make Italian Wedding Soup. I have no Italian lineage and my mom never made it growing up, so for whatever reason it seemed easy to mess up.
Wedding soup consists of green vegetables (usually endive and escarole or cabbage, lettuce, kale, and/or spinach) and meat. This Italian wedding soup is meatballs, vegetables, greens and pasta all simmered together in a savory broth. The perfect way to warm up on a cold day! You can have Italian wedding soup using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Italian wedding soup
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- You need 1 cup of frozen chopped onion, about 6 oz.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- You need 1 of celery rib, half lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise.
- You need 2 of carrots, half lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise.
- It’s 5 1/4 cup of reduced-sodium chicken broth, 42 Oz.
- It’s 2 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 20 of refrigerated or frozen pre-cooked meatballs, 15 to 20 ounces.
- It’s 2 (14 oz) of ounce cans small white beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 5-6 ounces of baby spinach, coarsely chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
Calling this "Italian wedding soup" is somewhat of a misnomer since the dish is unrelated to weddings. The name is said to come from the words "minestra maritata," which mean "married soup." This easy Italian wedding soup recipe is the absolute BEST! My whole family loves it, and yours will, too. In the soup aisle of Target, my tear-streaked.
Italian wedding soup instructions
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5 to 6 quart pot over high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions, garlic, celery and carrots, stirring occasionally, until onions are pale golden, about 4 minutes..
- Stir in broth and water and bring to a boil, covered.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, and sauteing meatballs, do not thaw if frozen, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 3 minutes..
- Add meatballs to soup along with beans, and briskly simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and meatballs are heated through, about 15 minutes..
- Stir in spinach, cheese, salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute..
- Top with more finely grated cheese if desired..
Italian wedding soup has long been one of my favorite soups, but it's one I've never made myself, as I always assumed it was a chore to make all those meatballs before making the soup itself. Wedding soup is traditionally made from a rich, long-cooked homemade chicken stock. What you'll need to make Italian Wedding Soup. For the meatballs, my secret is to add ground sausage to the. Italian Wedding soup is a hearty, classic soup made on the stovetop!