Hodge-Podge "Clean Out the Fridge" Chicken Soup.
You can have Hodge-Podge "Clean Out the Fridge" Chicken Soup using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hodge-Podge "Clean Out the Fridge" Chicken Soup
- Prepare of Dark-meat chicken 2lbs (I prefer bone on to later make bone broth).
- You need of Onion- 1/2 large, 1 whole small.
- Prepare of Carrots- 2 whole peeled, thin circle slices.
- It’s of Celery- 2 whole stalks diced.
- You need of Garlic- 2-4 cloves (or however much you prefer), chopped.
- You need 3 cups of veggies of your choice (I used left over corn, peas, spinach, and mushrooms).
- It’s of Wild Rice- 1 cup cooked (leftover from our weekly meal-prep).
- Prepare of Black Beans- 1 cup cooked (leftover from our weekly meal prep).
Hodge-Podge "Clean Out the Fridge" Chicken Soup instructions
- In our house, all soups start with the same basic formula (onion, celery, carrot, garlic and bone broth- Love ya mom!). Gather these ingredients and find a heavy pot (we use a cast iron stock pot), but use what you have..
- Prepare your protein (chicken in this case) by searing it in butter or any oil you choose covered (in the soup pot if you want to save on dishes!). This step helps the protein to retain its natural moisture content and prevent that rubbery texture of say…of boiled chicken, yuck!.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool. Toss it into a bowl, plate etc..
- Add a bit more butter/oil to the pot, set to medium heat and toss in the diced onion, carrot, celery till tender (5 mins or so), then add chopped garlic for a minute or two… stirring so it doesn't burn. We stay on medium heat for the rest of the process..
- Add stock. Add leftovers. Add chicken. Add spices and whatever else you want to the pot..
- Simmer for a few… 10-20 minutes depending on what you had for leftovers. Taste test. Serve hot. (Maybe with an ice cube for the littles).
- Enjoy with fam..