Recipe: Appetizing Chunky Pea & Ham Soup
Chunky Pea & Ham Soup.
You can cook Chunky Pea & Ham Soup using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chunky Pea & Ham Soup
- Prepare 500 grams of Green split peas.
- It’s 1 of Leek, sliced.
- It’s 3 large of carrots, diced.
- You need 2 large of potatoes, diced.
- You need 3 of Celery stalks, diced.
- You need 2 of Bay leaf.
- Prepare 4 of Smoked ham bones (or bacon bones).
- Prepare 200 grams of Piece of smoked ham.
- Prepare 1 of Cracked black pepper to taste.
Chunky Pea & Ham Soup instructions
- Soak split peas for 6 hours or over night..
- Drain, rinse and add to large pot. Cover with cold water..
- Bring to the boil then gently simmer until peas start to break up..
- Whilst waiting for that to happen- throw carrots, leek and celery in a large heavy base pan and fry until softened (not browned)..
- Add celery, leek and carrots to the peas along with potatoes, bay leaves, ham bones and ham..
- Keep it simmering for around an eternity until the smell makes you salivate and soup is thickened..
- Remove ham piece, chop it up and throw it back in..
- I like to leave the bones in but you can remove if wanted. Nothing beats sucking on a bacon bone whilst you eat your soup (for me). Crack some black pepper, top with some chopped celery leaves and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!.