Recipe: Appetizing Grandma Skitch's Split Pea Soup
Grandma Skitch's Split Pea Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is the best split pea soup recipe! I've made it three times, and am making it again right now with the ham bone left over from Easter dinner.
Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven. Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except. Despite split pea soup being one of my favorite wintertime meals, the origin of the soup comes from a lack of food diversity in Ukraine. You can cook Grandma Skitch's Split Pea Soup using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grandma Skitch's Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1 of Ham Bone With Some Meat.
- It’s 1 1/2 of Bags of Yellow Split Peas.
- You need 1/3 of Finely Chopped Red Onion.
- It’s 2 of Finely Chopped Cellary.
- It’s 2 of Shredded Carrots.
- Prepare 2 of Graded Garlic Cloves.
- It’s 1 of Taste of Salt and Pepper.
My family would make it when fresh vegetables were scarce and split peas were abundant. Out of necessity, we created a hearty meal with what we had. This smoky split pea soup in particular is just the ticket if you're cooking for a crowd with dietary restrictions, because it is naturally gluten-free (and vegan too!) If this split pea soup recipe can get rave reviews from the toughest critics in my house, I'm sure your friends and family will love it too! Grandma's Split Pea Soup recipe: My maternal (Southern) grandmother's Split Pea Soup is a very tasty, stick to your ribs, hearty soup.
Grandma Skitch's Split Pea Soup step by step
- Bring Ham Bone to a Boil on a Large Pot of Water.
- Turn Temperature to a med heat (5), and let ham bone simmer for atleast one hour..
- Remove ham bone and let cool..
- Add all ingerdiance inclueding meat from ham bone, bring to boils and turn down to a med heat (3)..
- Stir every half hour, add water as needed..
- When peas are mushy and broth is thinkened. Soup is ready for cooling.
Add smoked turkey, peas, salt and stock. My son Lee wanted to learn how to make my mother's pea soup, so on one of our visits to California, Sandra taught him how to make her version of my mother's. Customer Review: Split Pea & Ham with Natural Smoke Flavor Soup. I have always loved Grandma Brown's baked beans and when I saw these soups on the internet I had to try them. The split pea soup tasted homemade!