Recipe: Perfect Split pea soup with ham
Split pea soup with ham. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. When I want Split Pea Soup, this is the recipe I crave!
Freezing Split Pea and Ham Soup: Portion the soup into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers or fill an airtight container as much as possible (to To Freeze Split Pea and Ham Soup Freezer Bags: Fill three-quarters of the way up, force out as much air as possible before sealing and store flat in the. Use leftover ham to make split pea soup prep even easier. You'll turn to this split pea soup with ham all winter long. You can have Split pea soup with ham using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split pea soup with ham
- It’s 2 lb of dry split peas.
- You need 1 large of chopped onion.
- Prepare 2 of chopped celery stalks.
- You need 6 of minced garlic cloves.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped carrots.
- Prepare 10 cup of water or chicken broth.
- You need 1 of ham bone , trimming the fat the best you can.
- It’s 1 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare 1 of salt/ pepper to taste.
How to make split pea soup with a ham bone. If you're planning on having ham this holiday season, do NOT throw out the bone! And don't let the person Adding a ham bone to split pea soup elevates it to a whole new level. There is a ton of flavor in the bone itself, as well as marrow and gelatin, which.
Split pea soup with ham instructions
- In a big dutch oven or a heavy pot, put the ham, the split peas, water or the chicken broth, onion and garlic..
- Bring to boil and then, lower to medium heat. Remove the foam and continue to cook for 1 hour, mixing often because split peas tend to stick in the bottom..
- Add the remaining ingredients and lower the heat to simmer up to 40 more minutes, mixing often.add more liquid if you want.
- At this point, the split peas must be like pureè. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with herbed or garlic croutons.ENJOY!.
This split pea and ham soup slow cooker recipes seriously couldn't be any easier. You literally add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and then walk away while it cooks up one of the most fabulous, heart-warming, and rich split pea soups you've ever had the fortune to eat. Split peas and lentils are the two legumes that don't actually need an overnight soak or extensive cooking times, consequently, I always have a bag of each on hand for quick, easy, satisfying meals. The key to this soup is the ham bone. It flavors the broth and provides body and mouth feel to the.