Recipe: Appetizing Capitol Hill Bean Soup
Capitol Hill Bean Soup. You could say it's a rare unanimous mandate. According to one story, the tradition was started by a Congressman from Idaho who contended the soup should always include mashed potatoes. Try this Capitol Hill Bean Soup recipe, or contribute your own.
This navy bean soup is packed with flavor. A ham bone or ham hocks provide the seasoning, and fresh chopped vegetables add color and nutrients. Senate bean soup is served in the Senate restaurant every day. You can cook Capitol Hill Bean Soup using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Capitol Hill Bean Soup
- It’s 1 pound of dried white navy beans, sorted of debris and rinsed.
- You need 1 of (about 1-lb.) ham bone or uncured ham hock (I used the center bone with lots of meat from the ham dinner we had the day before).
- It’s 2 1/2 quarts of water (10 cups).
- Prepare 1 of large russet potato (about 8 oz.).
- It’s 3 cups of chopped celery (about 6 stalks).
- You need 3 cups of chopped yellow onion (about 3 medium onions).
- Prepare 1-3 of Garlic clove, minced.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- Prepare 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Idaho Senator Fred Dubois purportedly requested the soup originally, which explains why. This is one of Pastor Chopp's favorites. Remove from heat; cover and soak overnight in refrigerator. Be the first to review this recipe.
Capitol Hill Bean Soup instructions
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or large casserole; add water to cover, and soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans. Add ham bone and water. Cover and bring to a boil over high; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour..
- Rinse potato; pierce with a fork, and wrap potato in a paper towel. Microwave on HIGH until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes; peel and mash potato. Stir potato, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper into bean mixture; simmer over medium-low until beans are tender, about 1 hour..
- Remove ham bone from Dutch oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard bone and fat; dice meat, and stir into bean mixture. Top each serving with chopped parsley.
This Capitol Bean Soup recipe is so delicious and full of flavor. It's one of the many great recipes shared by home cooks on BakeSpace.com, the world's sweetest recipe swap community. Bean soup has established itself on the menu of every cafeteria carry-out, and dining room of the Congress, and. Senate Bean Soup or simply Senate bean soup is a soup made with navy beans, ham hocks, and onion. An easy recipe for Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup.