How to Cook Appetizing Abondigas Locas (Crazy Meatball Soup)
Abondigas Locas (Crazy Meatball Soup).
You can have Abondigas Locas (Crazy Meatball Soup) using 23 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Abondigas Locas (Crazy Meatball Soup)
- Prepare of SOUP BASE.
- It’s 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of onion (yellow/sweet), roughly chopped.
- You need 3 of carrots, large, diced.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery, diced.
- Prepare 2 (14 1/2 oz) of can diced tomatos.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chicken bouillon granules.
- You need 1 tsp of chili powder.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin.
- You need 6 cups of hot tap water.
- It’s 2 of zucchini, chopped (reserve).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn (reserve).
- It’s 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped/fresh (reserve).
- You need of MEATBALLS.
- You need 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (85/15 preferably).
- You need 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- You need 3/4 tsp of cumin.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of cilantro (finely chopped).
- You need 1/3 cup of onion (yellow/sweet) finely chopped.
Abondigas Locas (Crazy Meatball Soup) instructions
- Chop vegetables. In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, sauté carrots, celery and onions in olive oil until onion is translucent. (3-5 mins)..
- Add water, diced tomatoes with juice, bouillon granules, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender..
- While soup base is cooking, prepare the meatballs. Preheat oven to 400•.
- In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Avoid over mixing..
- Drizzle a small baking sheet with olive oil..
- *****Here's my meatball rolling "lesson learned". Instead of rolling approx 80-100 tiny meatballs, which is very tedious, do the following..
- Take a large handful of the meatball mixture and roll it out into a 1/2-3/4 in thick "snake". Then, using a butter knife, cut into 1/2 long segments. (Way easier than rolling).
- Place meatballs on the prepared baking sheet then roll/toss the baking sheet to coat the meatballs. Place sheet in oven and bake for 12-15 mins..
- Add chopped zucchini and frozen corn to soup base. Taste soup base, add seasoning if desired. Cook until zucchini is just tender..
- When meatballs are done cooking (sufficiently browned) remove from oven and add to soup base. Heat through until boiling..
- Add reserved chopped cilantro just before serving..