Recipe: Appetizing Kapustnica (Slovakian Sauerkraut & Sausage Soup)
Kapustnica (Slovakian Sauerkraut & Sausage Soup).
You can cook Kapustnica (Slovakian Sauerkraut & Sausage Soup) using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kapustnica (Slovakian Sauerkraut & Sausage Soup)
- You need 150 g of smoked pork or ham, or ham hocks.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of allspice or nutmeg.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds.
- You need 1 cup of sauerkraut (about 400 g).
- It’s 1 of small onions, sliced thinly.
- Prepare 2 tsp of paprika powder.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- It’s 50 g of dried mushrooms.
- You need 1 of Hungarian or Polish-style smoked sausage (1 small or 1/2 large).
- You need 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of dried marjoram.
- It’s to taste of Plain yogurt, sour cream or cream (for garnish).
Kapustnica (Slovakian Sauerkraut & Sausage Soup) instructions
- This is what the smoked ham hock and sausage in Slovakia looks like. You can probably use any kind of smoked ham or non-sweetened smoked pork (maybe even smoked bacon?) as a substitute..
- Add smoked ham, 800 ml (3.5 US cups) water, bay leaf, pepper, allspice, and 1/2 tsp salt to a pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Meanwhile, slice onions thinly. In a separate frying pan, heat 1-2 Tablespoons oil and sauté onions until translucent, but not brown (about 5 minutes)..
- When onions are soft, mix in 2 tsp paprika and stir into onions. Remove from heat..
- Add sauerkraut to the pot, with a little bit of the juice, after initial 30 minutes is up..
- Next stir in the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Cover with lid and simmer for another 30 minutes..
- Remove ham from soup. Cut meat from bone (if any) and cut off any of the thick pieces of skin. Chop up the meat into small pieces..
- Return ham to pot and simmer another 20 minutes. If you have some red wine, add 1/2 cup or so to give the soup even more flavor!.
- Cut up the sausage and add it to the pot along with the vinegar, sugar and marjoram (or other herbs like herbes de Provence, thyme, etc.)..
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add a little more vinegar, salt, pepper, and/or sugar to adjust to your taste. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, plain yogurt, etc. over top..