Recipe: Tasty Split Pea Soup
Split Pea Soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. This is a wonderful, hearty split pea soup. Great for a fall or blustery winter day.
Homemade Split Pea Soup, just like mom made growing up! This hearty, protein packed, comforting soup is made with tender split peas, flavorful ham and fresh vegetables. When I want Split Pea Soup, this is the recipe I crave! You can have Split Pea Soup using 6 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 1 of leftover frozen ham bone (any size).
- You need 20 oz of bag dry green split peas.
- Prepare 12 cup of water.
- You need 14 1/2 oz of can sliced carrots (drained).
- It’s 15 oz of can new potatoes (drained).
- Prepare 1 of salt n pepper to taste.
Made with ham hocks or leftover ham, this To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the. Split Pea Soup is the perfect hearty winter soup to serve your family as it is so easy-to-mak and so good! My family considered this soup as an all-time comfort food. It's soup weather, and split pea soup is one of my personal favorites!
Split Pea Soup instructions
- Place water in a large pot..
- Place frozen ham bone in pot of water..
- Turn heat on high and boil covered for 2 hours..
- Remove from heat. And remove ham bone from water. Keeping water in pot..
- Let ham bone cool until its handleable.. pick all meat and bone marrow off bone and place in pot of water..
- Chop carrots and potatoes into small cubes..
- Clean peas by picking out bad peas, stones, sticks etc. Then rinse under cool water..
- Bring water back to a boil on high heat. Add peas, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper..
- Bring to a boil again..
- Lower heat to medium/ medium low and simmer uncovered..
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stirring often and frequent making sure your scraping the bottom..
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes..
- Give a quick stir and serve hot!.
- To have a smooth creamy soup.. place soup in blender and puree until smooth..
- You can also serve this soup chilled..
It's a humble soup, sure, but one that's bursting with flavor, thanks to the smoked ham hock that simmers away with the split peas. Split pea soup freezes well, so you can make this on Easter Monday and not have to worry about cooking all week – split pea soup with ham for breakfast lunch and dinner anybody?! Can you overcook split pea soup? Split peas take a very long time to soften, so you don't have to worry about overcooking them. If you'd like the rest of the vegetables in your soup to retain some bite.