Recipe: Appetizing Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup
Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup.
You can cook Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup
- You need 2 slice of thick cut smoked bacon.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 2 of smoked ham steaks, diced small.
- It’s 1 large of Vidalia onion, finely diced.
- Prepare 4 large of carrots, finely diced.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb of dried split peas.
- It’s 8 cup of ham stock (see my recipe).
- Prepare 1 can of diced new potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Smoky Ham and Split Pea Soup instructions
- Soak peas in enough cold water to cover by an inch overnight. Drain, rinse, and set aside..
- Render Bacon in a large pot over medium high heat until crispy. Remove Bacon, leaving the fat, and crumble into bits for garnishing..
- Add oil to the Bacon fat and saute Ham until it begins to brown..
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and carrots and Cook until vegetables are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes..
- Add garlic and Cook an additional minute..
- Add peas and Ham stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer uncovered until peas are tender, 45 minutes to an hour..
- Skim off any scum that arises and add potatoes. Cook a minute or two to warm through..
- Using a wooden spoon, smash some of the peas against the side of the pot and Stir well to thicken soup..
- Check for seasoning and serve garnished with reserved Bacon bits..