Easiest Way to Make Tasty Split pea soup with ham
Split pea soup with ham. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. Freezing Split Pea and Ham Soup: Portion the soup into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers or fill an airtight container as much as possible (to To Freeze Split Pea and Ham Soup Freezer Bags: Fill three-quarters of the way up, force out as much air as possible before sealing and store flat in the.
To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the soup with the date and time. Use leftover ham to make split pea soup prep even easier. You'll turn to this split pea soup with ham all winter long. You can cook Split pea soup with ham using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split pea soup with ham
- Prepare 2 lb of dry split peas.
- Prepare 1 large of chopped onion.
- Prepare 2 of chopped celery stalks.
- You need 6 of minced garlic cloves.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped carrots.
- It’s 10 cup of water or chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 of ham bone , trimming the fat the best you can.
- Prepare 1 tsp of oregano.
- Prepare 1 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 of salt/ pepper to taste.
How to make split pea soup with a ham bone. If you're planning on having ham this holiday season, do NOT throw out the bone! And don't let the person Adding a ham bone to split pea soup elevates it to a whole new level. There is a ton of flavor in the bone itself, as well as marrow and gelatin, which.
Split pea soup with ham instructions
- In a big dutch oven or a heavy pot, put the ham, the split peas, water or the chicken broth, onion and garlic..
- Bring to boil and then, lower to medium heat. Remove the foam and continue to cook for 1 hour, mixing often because split peas tend to stick in the bottom..
- Add the remaining ingredients and lower the heat to simmer up to 40 more minutes, mixing often.add more liquid if you want.
- At this point, the split peas must be like pureè. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with herbed or garlic croutons.ENJOY!.
This split pea soup recipe is adapted from one written by Julia Child years ago for a Parade Magazine article. Purchased split peas at Whole Foods- out of dispenser (not pre-packaged) and they cooked perfectly, in accordance with recipe. For a different spin on split pea soup, try this recipe. The flavor is peppery rather than smoky. Never have seen such a unique recipe and those seasonings are what makes this taste so good I'm.