Recipe: Perfect Split Pea and Ham Soup
Split Pea and Ham Soup.
You can cook Split Pea and Ham Soup using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Split Pea and Ham Soup
- You need 1 1/2 lb of dried split peas divided.
- You need 10 1/2 cup of water divided.
- Prepare 3 of chicken bouillon cubes for 6 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 lb of ham on bone.
- It’s 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, sliced.
- You need 2 of celery stalks including leaves, sliced.
- You need 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 of red potatoes, cubed.
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- You need 2 pinch of white pepper.
- It’s 1 pinch of Cheyenne pepper.
- It’s of fresh ground black pepper.
- Prepare of chopped cooked bacon *optional.
Split Pea and Ham Soup step by step
- Sort then rinse peas. In a large pot, combine 1lb peas, 8 cups of hot water, chicken bouillon and ham, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 min stirring occasionally..
- While that's cooking chop all vegetables. After first half hour add the vegetables and seasonings for 30 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. In second pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 lb of peas on medium heat for 30 min..
- Once desired tenderness is reached remove the ham and trim the meat off the bone and discard along with excess fat. Chop meat and add back to soup along with extra peas and water. Mix well and serve..