How to Make Appetizing Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup
Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup. This hearty black bean soup is what you need on a cold and dreary day! Made with ham shanks, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, cumin, and The foundation ingredients are black beans, smoked ham hock or shank, onions, and spices. But even the ham hock or shank you could substitute with.
This black bean soup recipe is nicely flavored with garlic, a meaty ham bone, and spices. Top each serving with sour cream and chopped green onions. The soup starts with dried black beans, soaked and then simmered to perfection with a ham bone, chopped seasoning vegetables, and a variety of. You can have Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup
- You need 1 lb. of dried black beans.
- You need 3 tbs. of olive or vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper, chopped.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s 3 tbs. of tomato paste.
- You need 1 of smoked ham hock.
- It’s 7 cups of vegetable stock.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of cumin.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of coriander.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of thyme.
- It’s Dash of paprika.
- It’s 3 cups of cooked ham, cubed.
- You need 1/4 cup of dry sherry.
- Prepare Dash of salt and pepper.
Looking for the best black bean soup? My Smoky Black Bean Ham Soup is thick and meaty and loaded with extras like fire roasted hatch chiles, diced tomatoes and jalapenos. Top this ham hock and beans recipe with all your favorites, like queso fresco, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Soup is one of my favorite things and I usually have it for lunch.
Black Bean (w/ Ham) Soup instructions
- Soak the black beans and prep according to the package direction. [For a quick soak, use the boiling water method.].
- In a large pot over medium heat, begin heating the oil and sauté the onions and bell pepper until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat them for 30 seconds..
- Add the tomato paste and mix all the ingredients well..
- Pour in the vegetable broth and then add the drained beans, ham hock and the bay leaf..
- Bring to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the cumin, coriander, thyme, and paprika. Partially cover the pot and cook for about 2 hours until the beans are tender..
- Remove the ham bone and shred off any meat. Set aside. Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes..
- Depending on desired consistency (smooth or chunky), you can puree the soup by using a handheld immersion blender or in batches with a blender..
- Add the cooked ham and shredded meat to the soup in the pot. Season with salt and pepper (to taste) and add the sherry. Cook for 15 minutes on medium heat uncovered to heat through..
- Serve with toppings of choice such as sour cream or yogurt, green onions, chopped hard-boiled egg, etc. Serve with some crusty bread..
Ham And Bean Soup With Ham Bone Recipes. A simple black bean soup, spiced up with cumin and chili powder, and flavored with chunks of ham. Top it off with cheese, sour cream and salsa, and this is a soup you won't want to pass up. I fed my mom and dad, and all three of us went back for seconds. PS…this soup actually has a lot more broth than these pictures indicate.