Recipe: Perfect Split Pea Soup (Chef Tina Jean)
Split Pea Soup (Chef Tina Jean).
You can have Split Pea Soup (Chef Tina Jean) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Split Pea Soup (Chef Tina Jean)
- You need 1 pound of bag split peas, washed and drained.
- You need 1 of ham hock, smoked.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil (evoo).
- You need 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 cup of yellow onion, diced small.
- You need 1/2 cup of carrots, diced small.
- You need 1/2 cup of celery, diced small.
- It’s 1 1/2 tablespoons of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- It’s 1 inch of piece parmesan rind.
- It’s 4 cups of chicken stock.
- It’s 4 cups of water.
- Prepare to taste of salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- You need 1/8 cup of half and half or heavy cream (optional).
- You need 1/3 cup of Boars Head Sweet Slice ham, sautéed and minced.
Split Pea Soup (Chef Tina Jean) instructions
- Place butter and evoo in large stock pot and heat over medium heat..
- Once butter has melted in the oil add onions, carrots and celery. Cook until veggies have softened, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf, dried thyme and cook just until fragrant; 20 to 30 seconds. Season with a couple sprinkles of salt and pepper..
- Add ham hock, parmesan rind, chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then immediately reduce to low. Cover with lid and simmer for 1 hour or until peas have softened..
- In the meantime, mince the Boars Head ham and set aside..
- Once the peas have softened add the minced ham and finish soup with half and half or heavy cream, if desired. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust seasoning as necessary..
- Remove parmesan rind, bay leaf and ham hock before serving. You can also allow the ham hock to cool and remove any bits of meat that are remaining. Mince and fry in a small amount of olive oil to crisp. Then use this as a garnish to serve atop the soup..
- Tip: You can also make parmesan rinds to serve with your soup. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper (or a silpat which works best). Grate parmesan on a microplane grater. Place 2 tablespoon amounts of parmesan on the silpat leaving two inch space in between each mound. Bake until parmesan has melted and turns medium golden brown. Remove and allow to cool before removing from pan..