Recipe: Appetizing Crockpot Split Pea Soup
Crockpot Split Pea Soup. Can you overcook split pea soup? Split peas take a very long time to soften, so you don't have to worry about overcooking them. If you'd like the rest of the vegetables in your soup to retain some bite, add them later into the cooking time.
Note that soup will thicken as it rests and cools slightly. If needed it can be thinned with more water. Wondering how to make split pea soup in a crockpot? You can cook Crockpot Split Pea Soup using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Crockpot Split Pea Soup
- Prepare 2 cup of dried green split peas.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, sliced.
- Prepare 2 of stalks of celery, sliced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 2 large of ham hocks.
- Prepare 2 quart of water.
- Prepare 1 cup of mashed potatoes, opt.
This split pea and ham soup slow cooker recipes seriously couldn't be any easier. You literally add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and then walk away while it cooks up one of the most fabulous, heart-warming. This recipe for crockpot split pea soup cooks to perfection in your slow cooker. Split peas, unlike other legumes such as black beans or kidney beans, do not need to be soaked before cooking.
Crockpot Split Pea Soup step by step
- Wash and sort split peas..
- Add everything to crockpot except for mashed potatoes..
- Cook on low for six to eight hours..
- When veggies are tender, take out ham hocks, remove meat, and add meat to soup. Add mashed potatoes to soup to thicken. If you do not have mashed potatoes, you can puree two cups of soup when warm..
Just sort over the peas and remove any pieces of dirt, small stones, and sticks. This Crockpot Split Pea Soup is as easy, and as satisfying, as it gets. Just chop up your veggies and some turkey bacon, dump them in the pot with some Crockpot Split Pea Soup. Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. Crockpot variation: Put all ingredients into crockpot (no need to cook onions first, and oil can be omitted).