Easiest Way to Prepare Appetizing split pea with ham hock soup
split pea with ham hock soup. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. Instead of the ham bone, I used a ham hock and used up some left over ham cubes I had in the freezer. I also lightly sauteed the onions with some garlic in a little bit of EVOO.
To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the soup with the date and time. While the split pea soup is simmering, and as soon as the ham hocks have cooled enough to work with, use your hands to remove the meat from the bones, shredding it as you work. There won't be a lot of it, but what is there is very flavorful. You can have split pea with ham hock soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of split pea with ham hock soup
- It’s 2 of carrots.
- It’s 2 of celery stocks.
- Prepare 1 packages of peas.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- You need 1 tbsp of onion powder.
- It’s 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 of salt to taste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of savory.
- You need 4 cup of water or chicken stock or veggie stock.
- It’s 1 lb of ham hock or diced spiral.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
When the pea soup is done, use tongs or a spoon to remove. Add peas and ham hock and cover with stock by a couple inches. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. This amazing recipe for Split Pea & Ham Soup is made using a ham bone or ham hocks.
split pea with ham hock soup instructions
- in large pot bring to boil water or liquid of choice.
- start dicing veggies and add to the pot.
- add peas, oil, and seasonings.
- give a good stirr, and add in ham of choice.
- lower to a medium heat and cover. cook for 1 hour and 30 min. stirring occasionally..
It can also be made in a slow cooker or on the stovetop. Serve with a side of warm Homemade Garlic Bread for a comforting meal everyone will adore! Ham hock adds a ton of porky flavor to this classic split pea soup. Slow cook your split pea soup while you are out for the day and a delicious dinner will be ready when you arrive back home! This is a real stick-to-your-ribs soup.